DSP-30 Issues...

tenor_singer

I've posted several previous times that my school district has gotten a new building with new equipment. Since our move this past fall I have become the unofficial "go to guy" with sound system questions. The latest has me stumped because it involves a piece of equipment that I have never seen before and that I have not yet been issued operating manuals for.

Our middle school gymnasium has four EV speakers being powered by 2 amplifiers. The amplifiers are in turn receiving a conditioned signal from a QSC DSP-30 (or DPS-30... don't remember the letter order). The other day, two of the 4 speakers stopped working. When I looked at the rack, I noticed that one of the two amps were not showing a signal being received. I traced the wires from the amp to the back of the DSP-30 and noted that it was "channel 2". I thought...

1. It is either a wire issue or a channel issue.

I switched the wire from channel 1 sending signal to the two working speakers with the wire from channel 2 sending signal to the two non-working speakers. The non-working speakers worked, the working ones stopped. I thought...

1. Ok... it is an issue with channel 2.
2. Somebody must have pushed some buttons on the front of the DSP-30 changing its settings.

When I looked at the front I noticed a computer jack and two buttons (which I have no clue how to use either).

At this stage... we're using what we have until the equipment installers return to inspect the equipment.

My question... can anybody think of something I may have missed? Is there anybody familiar with this DSP-30? I know it is a digital signal processor and compressor, but that is about the extent of my knowledge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tenor.

Is it being fed with a mono signal or a stereo signal? If it is mono, and I'm going to assume it is, it sounds like the DSP was reconfigured. The easy and dirty way to fix this is to Y the inputs of the DSP.

Here's a link to the manual: http://www.qscaudio.com/pdfs/dsp30rev_C.pdf

You may be able to tap into the unit via computer, but if it was f'ed up via the front panel, it can likely be fixed from the front panel
http://www.qscaudio.com/products/software/signal_manager/signal_manager.htm

A way to prevent someone from touching this again is to install security covers such as this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/s=accessories/search/detail/base_pid/421750/
We have them on our DSP and amps.

Sometimes, these DSP processors just don't work. Period. Once, I was doing sound at a UNC basketball court/auditorium, for my school's graduation there. There was an Ashley DSP unit that didn't send out a signal. According to the techs there, no one had touched it since the basketball season, and it had been locked up. I had just quit.

But definitely do two things: let the pros fix it, and order that security panel. My church has those on their EQ's, and they seem to do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back