DSSP eSquib

porkchop

I said I was going to do this a while ago. Sorry it took so long. Also after reading this over I sound like a sales man pitching a product. I don't work for DSSP. I'm not getting anything out of their business. I just really like their product and want to see it used on stage.

I saw this on the show floor and really liked it. It's very similar to pyro products available today, but much, much safe. Apparently they took this product to a meeting of fire marshals in Nevada and they told them they have to get it into some of the ultra clubs in Las Vegas because of the increase in safety over sparklers and other small scale effects used currently. Initially I was really surprised that they got a permit to fire their effects off on the show floor, but after learning about how safe the product is I'm not surprised. Then even had a pop box they would walk around with to let people set off an eSquib that made enough noise to scare you.

In their session they talked about retrofitting weapons for the military with this firing system over the use of blanks. This is where I REALLY want to see this technology used on stage. In their promo videos they show an eSquib being fired safely with someones hand inches from the business end. This would be a huge increase in safety over current methods of firing a gun onstage.

The firing system requires a high very specific voltage so it's not exactly something you can buy and just wire up to a 9V and be on your way, but they did have all the necessary circuitry in a box that was ~2" x 4" x 6".

They where talking about a $75 price tag for an eSquib that you could fire hundreds of times with the prices of control gear going up from there. Apparently it's still considered 1.4 G for transport, but as you can see in the video you can take a butane torch to the stuff and it won't ignite. In their session they also showed a video of hitting the propellant with a hammer with no issues.

I cut down their promo video to the ~2:30 that I thought was most relevant and here it is:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is their website.

If you want to see their full promo videos from LDI here's a link to them:

LDI Media Disk

LDI 2014 Promo Video

Just got an email form DSSP and they really listened to our industry's feedback at LDI. In the last couple months they built a small portable firing control system about the size of a pack of cigarettes. So the system can now be controlled from a device discreetly hidden in an actor's clothing or in a very small set piece. COOL!

I think so. But I'm not sure. The email announcement only said, "And we have some great news - over the holidays our electrical elves were busy building what you were asking for at the show. The small handheld, one-channel firing system (about the size of a cigarette pack) is now available for pre-order and will start shipping by the end of the month!"

Based on that, I'm guessing it's the ESM-1 from their webpage, but the email doesn't give a product number and the web page doesn't identify that as the new product or say how big it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back