The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Dumb QotD: MCM=kcmil ?

Discussion in 'Question of the Day' started by derekleffew, Oct 11, 2008.

1. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

When discussing wire sizing, "kcmil" means the same thing as "MCM," correct?

2. STEVETERRY

STEVETERRY Well-Known Member

That is correct.

ST

3. jwl868

jwl868 Active Member

A pseudo-metrification, I suspect. MCM – Thousand Circular Mils. “M” for “thousand”. (Ah, the good old days, not “M” for “mega”, and when “MM” was “million”.) C for, well, Circular. And M for mil, or 1/1,000 inch. And it’s essentially an area concept, but with a unit of length. Now that’s an Imperial unit.

kcmil – “k” for “kilo” (1,000), “c” is still circular, and “mil” is still “mil” (1/1,000 inch). Metric prefix attached to an Imperial unit. Elegant.

Joe

4. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Thanks, [user]jwl868[/user]. I had it until you interjected.:twisted: 1000 C 1/1000. One-thousand one-thousandths. Wouldn't that be ONE? But 500 MCM is not 500 square inches; I don't think it's one-half square inches either, though that's closer.

5. philhaney

philhaney CBMod CB Mods

From this web site:

MCM is thousand circular mils. Circular mils is a measurement of area:
    1 CM = .000001 square inch.
    1 MCM = .001 square inch.

So 500 MCM wire has an area of approx. 0.5 or 1/2 square inch, but according to the chart, it has a nominal diameter of 0.813 inches.

To answer your question, kcmil does equal MCM (one kilo of circular mills does equal 1,000 circular mills). :grin:

6. jwl868

jwl868 Active Member

Like I said, it's a peculiarly defined unit: The mil is length, but MCM or kcmil is area. So you can't mutiply the M (1,000) by the 1/1,000 to get 1. Worse, I have two conversions for this, the one in the link that philhaney provided, but another in an engineering handbook. A circular mil is either 0.000001 square inch per the philhaney link, or 7.854x10^-7 (or 0.0000007854) square inch per Perry's Handbook. The latter rounds to the former, though.

From "engineeringtoolbox" website:
    A circular mil is the equivalent area of a circle whose diameter is 0.001 (10-3) inch, or approximately 0.7854 millionths of a square inch.

Joe

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008