Dumb Question - Sizing Gel Shield

BobHealey

I'm looking at picking up some gel shield to use with some color scrollers. Looking at the pre-cut sizes offered, for Source 4 and Source 4 PARs do I want the 6" and 8" pre-cut sizes, or do I want to get 2 full sheets and cut to fit the frames exactly? I thought the frame sizes were 6.25" and 7.5" on those lights. Or is this just my cluelessness showing again?

Source 4 is 6.25, Par is 7.5. What kind of scrollers are you dealing with? Usually the heat sheild rides in the scroller itself.

Some scrollers (incl. Forerunner (although the manual says a 7" Forerunner will work on a PAR64 since they never made a 10" version)) are referred to as 10" (10x10), 7" (any 7.5x7.5), and 4" (SourceFour ERS). Adapter plates will allow use of larger scrollers for smaller fixtures, but not the other way around, obvs.

@BobHealey, are you looking at gel shield or heat shield? IMO, the best (and most expensive) of either is Apollo's Gel Shield. Which I'm inferring from context is that which at you are looking. I don't think the Wybron Forerunner has a provision for it, so you'll have to get creative. I'd probably affix the prophylactic media between the mounting plate and scroller body, pre-punching a screwhole in each corner. In this application of application, Gel Shield is thick, rigid, and tumescent enough so as to not require a frame.
Forerunner_mounting_plate.png

Four 8"x8" cuts ($12.50x4) are less expensive than a 20"x24' sheet ($61.45). Too bad you don't need five or six cuts.

Sorry for the locker room talk, ladies.

Well then you'd have to buy both 6x6 for S4-ERS, and 8x8 for other applications, AND worry about them getting lost or not being used. I prefer it attached to the color changer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back