Dust collection and isolation

Ech725

Since I will be having construction done in my large theatre space for nearly a year, I will be relocating to an older scene shop and theatre. The scene shop is roughly 20'x25' and 35' ceiling and is adjacent to a proscenium stage. The major downside (aside from size) of this scene shop is that there isn't any dust collection system except a shop vac. Every shop I've ever worked in has had it's own system. I'm looking for some tips on some inexpensive gear to help with dust collection. The main dust creators are: table saw, radial arm saw, and bench sander. The only source of ventilation is a small loading dock door that is clear across the stage 60' away and a roof ventilation door (facilities suggested I use it for ventilation). There isn't a wall/barrier between the shop and stage. I'm hoping to do most of the cutting in the shop and assembling on stage. Right off the top of my head, I'm thinking of a saw hood for the radial arm saw, a portable cyclone dust collector, 2-3 hepa shop vacs, and an air cleaner above. I also will hopefully have a 12' tall plastic barrier installed between the shop and stage. Any other tips for dust collection/isolation would be great.

Since I will be having construction done in my large theatre space for nearly a year, I will be relocating to an older scene shop and theatre. The scene shop is roughly 20'x25' and 35' ceiling and is adjacent to a proscenium stage. The major downside (aside from size) of this scene shop is that there isn't any dust collection system except a shop vac. Every shop I've ever worked in has had it's own system. I'm looking for some tips on some inexpensive gear to help with dust collection. The main dust creators are: table saw, radial arm saw, and bench sander. The only source of ventilation is a small loading dock door that is clear across the stage 60' away and a roof ventilation door (facilities suggested I use it for ventilation). There isn't a wall/barrier between the shop and stage. I'm hoping to do most of the cutting in the shop and assembling on stage. Right off the top of my head, I'm thinking of a saw hood for the radial arm saw, a portable cyclone dust collector, 2-3 hepa shop vacs, and an air cleaner above. I also will hopefully have a 12' tall plastic barrier installed between the shop and stage. Any other tips for dust collection/isolation would be great.
@Ech725 In your world, are saws 8, 10, 12 or 14 inches in diameter and are they directly powered via conduit and magnetic motor starters or are they powered via plugs and stout rubber jacketed flexible cordage? If they're not routinely spinning 24 / 7 / 365 you might entertain castered extraction vacuums with your various machines powered via receptacles on the extractors so the extractors only spin up when required by a machine powering up. This reduces noise, power consumption and wear and tear on the extractor motors. Is there any way you can maintain a comparatively positive air pressure on stage compared to a lower barometric pressure within you shop? Foot traffic entering your stage from your shop is going to be another major source of dust transfer. I played IA Head LX in a space similar to what you're describing. The shop fabricated wood and metal and educating the fabricators was a large part of the dust containment.
Best of luck.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

As far as inexpensive goes, the Harbor Freight collectors are a favorite. Their CFM specs are generous but they work reasonably for one tool at a time on shortest possible duct (i.e. don't bother designing, installing and sealing rigid duct runs all over the shop) and they are cheap enough to get several, especially on sale and with a "super coupon". Swap in a 1 micron filter bag or canister (canisters easier for mobility but more $$$) from a good company like American Fabric Filter and seal the many air leaks the DC comes with and you've got a pretty good budget solution for as little as $250.

The exhaust from the air cleaner can really whip up some problems as much as the intake solves them. Placement of that blower and some adjustable deflection (upwards?) is probably important.

Are all your tools good at directing dust out their dust ports? If not then maybe a good time to upgrade, especially sanders and routers. That can make more difference than the power of the collector/extractor. Festool is expensive but really, really good at keeping the air clean among other things.

Maybe also consider alternative materials and methods while in this temporary situation. No MDF, sand by hand or with wet process (and everyone should learn to use a taping knife correctly so there's less mud and filler to sand down) - just more vigilance than ever regarding the hazard mitigation process. Rather than making the hazard and then containing it, try to not make it in the first place.

@Ech725 In your world, are saws 8, 10, 12 or 14 inches in diameter and are they directly powered via conduit and magnetic motor starters or are they powered via plugs and stout rubber jacketed flexible cordage? If they're not routinely spinning 24 / 7 / 365 you might entertain castered extraction vacuums with your various machines powered via receptacles on the extractors so the extractors only spin up when required by a machine powering up. This reduces noise, power consumption and wear and tear on the extractor motors. Is there any way you can maintain a comparatively positive air pressure on stage compared to a lower barometric pressure within you shop? Foot traffic entering your stage from your shop is going to be another major source of dust transfer. I played IA Head LX in a space similar to what you're describing. The shop fabricated wood and metal and educating the fabricators was a large part of the dust containment.
Best of luck.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

The tools are not 24/7 and flexible cordage. I was thinking about possibly using iVac switches that only turn on the DC when the tool is in use. The shop has one entrance on its side plus the ceiling fire vent and blends into the stage that has a loading dock door plus two ceiling fire vents and multiple entrances near th house. As far as keeping positive pressure, I’m not as familiar with the building HVAC or if there is some sort of air handler. I too was thinking that plastic wall will help, but there definitely will be issues of transfer between walking from shop to stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back