DVD decoder software

headcrab

I was going so well setting up our media computer and then I ran into this. I finally got all the hardware working, so I inserted a video DVD to see if it would work. I couldn't play it because "there's no decoder installed."
I kind of understand what the decoder does, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't have said software.
Where do I get this decoder software?
Thanks.

Is there a freeware option? I can't spend any more on this system.
VLC failed miserably. I can install all the DVD playing software I want but the codecs/decoders etc. don't exist so it wouldn't help. Nor do I want to buy some software and find that it doesn't help my problem.
Is there a decoder plugin for Winamp?

What are you trying to open the DVD with and output it to? Sounds like some of your drivers may be corrupted. Windows Media Player or VLC should have no issues playing any DVD.

1st try to uninstall WMP. Then reinstall and update it to the most current (which is the easiest way to get the new codecs).

You could also try DVIX "The Playa" which is also freeware (& has codecs) that will allow you to play several different formats from the HD as well as std DVD's.

If all else fails, do an internet search for the codec you need. Include the codec name in the search to minimize the garbage.

Last but not least, try a different PC. The DVD drive could be dying, or the disc could be bad.

I will quote windows media player: "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer."
Installing new dvd playing software won't help until I install the decoder. I just installed WMP11 and it said the same thing. The DVD shows up in each program as "Unknown DVD."
I would look at all the solutions presented thus far but each costs money, which I don't have for this. I bought the hardware, and now the manufacturer expects me to pay MORE money for the software to make it work.:evil:

I tried DVDs that are known to work here. The region is currently set to "not selected."
When I get in tomorrow I will try Nero OEM 6 which I know works.

I LOVED Nero 6. Nero 7, though, caused issues with my Pro Tools software and with Audacity.

In my experience, if VLC won't play something, it's a problem with the source. (file, dvd, etc.)

that has been my experience also, I am gathering form the posts that for some other reason the OP had decided not to use VLC

Sharyn

I think that *technically* under the DMCA, VLC is illegal (in the US) because they didn't pay for the CSS license. I can't see that really being a problem though.

If you purchased this from a manufacturer, did it come with recovery disks? The codecs should be part of what was already set up, not a separate software. I would contact the manufacturer (or look up their website) and the codec/decoder should be freely available.

The k-lite codec pack worked yesterday, but I come in today and find that the system is corrupted and won't boot. Neither explorer.exe nor taskmgr.exe will initialize. And just when I had the computer working perfectly...:evil:

Better to have crashed now, and have to time to get it right, then during a show when you'll never quite be sure if the system is stable....

The k-lite codec pack worked yesterday, but I come in today and find that the system is corrupted and won't boot. Neither explorer.exe nor taskmgr.exe will initialize. And just when I had the computer working perfectly...:evil:

Sound slike your PC has other issues and the corrupted Codecs are just a system of a larger issue. For a quick fix, use a different PC.

The appropriate fix for your media computer is to repair the operating system. Bad segments in the hardrive media, operator error, installation erros or maybe a virus has caused this PC to crash and burn.

Sounds like you have a nasty virus

Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials?
If you boot up, select last know good configuration, and then run MSE.
There are a lot of nasty virus infections out there. Are you running XP or vista or 7? There is a root kit infection that sometimes interferes with some of the automatic updates

Not sure what os you are running here is a link for some useful info

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/explorer-exe-wont-start-at-boot-in-windows

Sharyn

Last edited:
I have been using Clamwin AV, but we decided that the HD was probably faulty, so I'm installing WinXP on a new drive. I'll see how that goes.
Formatting...34%...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back