DVD decoder software

Typically the issue you are having is NOT the hard drive but rather either a root kit or virus. BUT if you are using a new hard drive that would get around the root kit issue, as long as you do not have any other drives in the system that might be infected and in turn infect this drive.

I have seen this problem a few times, and it can be pretty nasty. Microsoft security essentials is free and does a pretty good job. I know others have made comments re media player but as you have found out Microsoft does NOT put the dvd playback/codec software in the package. So you either buy one of the packages MS recommends or use the K lite codec package

Sharyn

I know others have made comments re media player but as you have found out Microsoft does NOT put the dvd playback/codec software in the package.
Sharyn

The standard codecs are available on the Windows website - these codecs will read any STANDARD DVD. Other fancy media (divx, rm, various other compression software) requires proprietary codecs. If it is a normal MPeg format, WMP should handle it, if a normal AVI file, Quicktime / Itunes should handle it.

As a former PC tech, I think fragging the drive is the right way to go. Install ALL of the updates to the OS and hardware prior to installing any software. Install the software. Then at that point...get an external cheap harddrive to back everything up to (you pick your back up utility) and lock it away for when this happens again. As it is Windows, it will happen again.

I believe this is not quite right. You might be able to read a user created dvd but it will NOT play a commercially available dvd

if you look at the microsoft web site it just points you to packages that you can buy. Sometimes when you install a dvd drive or dvd writer you might have gotten a dvd player codec. The exception to this is

If you're running Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows Vista Ultimate, DVD capabilities are included as part of the operating system

Be interested to look at the link

Supported software MPEG-2 DVD decoders in Windows Media Player for Windows XP and Windows Vista

It is not clear what windows7 included or does not include.

Usually the issue is reading VOB files from commercial dvd's

Sharyn

Last edited:
W7 is just srtipped down Vista. It has the same codecs. I've beta'd both.

VOB is hardly a "odd" codec. Very common. It should be bundled in multiple media player programs. The only codecs I have ever bought is when encoding Mpegs to other formats on my PC and not playing a DVD.

Last edited:
Microsoft only include these codes in the highest levels of Vista only home premium and Ultimate so it depends on what version your tested. IT technically is not a codec issue, but a content protection issue and what fees microsoft was willing ot pay for what version. Since some of the lower versions are bundled into oem deals at a very low price to the OEM, these lower version so of vista did not have these codecs.

Sharyn

SHARYNF, you were probably right that the codecs I downloaded were infected. I was able to access system restore with the safe mode console, and I restored the computer (which removed the infected codecs). Now I have had Nero 6 and its codecs loaded for at least a week and no problems.
I'm hoping it stays that way...

link to k-lite full version
http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=5641&s=775

link to k-lite basic
MajorGeeks.com - Download Freeware and Shareware Computer Utilities.

These are tested and virus free

My suggestion would be to use VLC (it is not illegal, as someone before mentioned) there are no licensing fees for CSS, CSS is a formatting language. WMP has given me a lot of problems as has quicktime. VLC gives you basics which really is all you need on a media computer. Not to make bad the name of apple and microsoft but they tend to load up their products with useless junk that really has no use except the "oh thats cool" and never touched again.

make sure to scan all the downloads you get just to make sure you are staying safe on the internet.

My suggestion would be to use VLC (it is not illegal, as someone before mentioned) there are no licensing fees for CSS, CSS is a formatting language.

Not Cascading Style Sheets, Content Scramble System

libdvdcss (the decoder that VLC uses for DVD's) _is_ illegal under the DMCA because it is unlicensed and allows the user to bypass the copy protection on a DVD.

Edit: Maybe "illegal" is too strong of a word. It's kind of a gray area.

Not Cascading Style Sheets, Content Scramble System

libdvdcss (the decoder that VLC uses for DVD's) _is_ illegal under the DMCA because it is unlicensed and allows the user to bypass the copy protection on a DVD.

Edit: Maybe "illegal" is too strong of a word. It's kind of a gray area.

this function of VLC is quite new to me, i've always had to use other things for that.... hmmm... maybe i should open vlc up and see what kind of coding it has...

i was going to say i'm pretty sure that a device capable of bypassing is not illegal but rather the user who uses the software to do the illegal thing that is in trobule (hence why limewire still exists)

this function of VLC is quite new to me, i've always had to use other things for that.... hmmm... maybe i should open vlc up and see what kind of coding it has...

i was going to say i'm pretty sure that a device capable of bypassing is not illegal but rather the user who uses the software to do the illegal thing that is in trobule (hence why limewire still exists)

Limewire only shares files. libdvdcss, however, circumvents the DRM placed on the disk. Circumventing DRM is illegal under the DMCA. (even when done for your legally allowed backup copy, but that's another rant)

Just a friendly reminder (and a thank you) that discussions about illegal use of software will not be tolerated here on CB. So far this thread has danced in some gray areas but hasn't gone over the line. On behalf of the Senior Team, thanks! Remember somebody is trying to feed their family by creating and selling software. If you illegally download you are stealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back