Dynamic Cues?

I'm guessing this is a really stupid question because I'm sure there is some really easy way to do this and I just can't think of it, but I'm wondering if there is a way to create a look, and use it several times throughout a show, but if I change that look, it will update in every place that it's used. PS, I'm running an ETC ION. For instance, if I have a "living room scene" that will happen several times throughout the show and the director wants me to add a little more of a certain light, I don't want to have to re-record or update each time that look is deployed in the show. Kind of like creating a header on the top of a document that repeats on 100 pages, but if you change it once it automatically updates everywhere. There HAS to be a super simple way to do this because I have to imagine this is a very common issue.

Thanks!

Not an Ion guy but its not to hard to do what you are talking about. The exact syntax escapes me but something like GROUP @ PRESET. You would make a group that has all the channels you would use in the scene, set it how you want it and then record an intensity preset. When you need to use it in a cue simply grab the group then set it to the intensity pallet and record the cue. When ever that cue is played back it will look at the values in the preset to see what to do. The manual should be able to tell how to create and update presets, or palettes.

The jargon for this on the Eos family is referenced data; specifically Presets and Palettes. A palette stores one parameter type (Focus, Color, Beam, Intensity) and a Preset can store all parameter types, either as absolute data or by reference to a palette.

The typical workflow is to build your palettes then assemble your presets from that data. If you already have cues they can be saved as presets.

Without getting into selective storing (saving only those channels and parameters that you want), the lazy way to create a preset is to copy a cue --
After you have a preset you can update or re-record the cue to use the preset instead of absolute values, either in live or blind.
With the cue active (live) or selected (blind):
  1. Recall From Preset X Enter
  2. Update Enter

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks! I've never done a lot of lighting so I have seen presets and palettes talked about a lot in the manual but I guess I didn't pay enough attention to what they were. Perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back