Dynamic Filters Map In CIE Diagram

laulite

Hello,
I have made a small software to vizualise lighting filters in the CIE diagram. It could be usefull to predict what color you will obtain by mixing several colored light, or to find complementary filters.It can also be usefull to compare filters of different manufacturers. I need some more time to translate the full manual in english, but shure you can make your mind with the quick start.
http://laulite.free.fr/gelmapEng.html

Any idea where my email address is going when I put it in? I see not privacy policy or where you are located.

Your eMail goes in my adress book. I can remove it at any time if you ask me. Be sure they won't be any misuse. I'm in France, in charge of lighting in theatre, and i develop small tool for my work; Tools i want to share, hope you will find any interest.

Last edited:
Sorry Friend, it's nothing personal. About once a month someone stops in and their first and only post is about their website, product, software, etc... people tend to ignore them. Showing up and asking for e-mail addresses in this unsafe computer world is even more likely to generate suspicion.

Ok, everyone, I went to the site, downloaded the software. Scanned it... it's safe. Ran it... he's not selling anything... it's a cool program. It shows the full color map, a variety of filter books, and what RGB or CMY combination is used to create that color... and a lot of other things too. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but it looks like good stuff and it's worth your time to check out.

The only problem I see in the first few minutes playing with it is that the Rosco swatch book is different than what I'm used to... not sure if you are using the "E-color" swatch book instead of the "Roscolux" book or if the numbers are just different in France.

Anyway, everyone, it's safe and worth your time to check out. So give our new French friend a break and go check out his software!!

Yeah, the roscolux line of Gel is one of the more popular ones here in the states. So it would be beneficial for you to add it if you want your software to be popular over here. You also might want to add Apollo Gel to it for the same reason. (www.internetapollo.com)

Last edited:
Yeah, the roscolux line of Gel is one of the more popular ones here in the states. So it would be beneficial for you to add it if you want your software to be popular over here. You also might want to add Apollo Gel to it for the same reason. (www.internetapollo.com)

laulite,
Thank you for the application. Kudos. I will find it useful. One minor issue, could you port it to Mac OS X native?

Most of what you call Roscolux colors are actually Lee colors with a different first digit. Since Rosco has added four digit #'s, and Lee has added 3xx and 7xx, it's a mess.
IF
I didn't "know," as SteveB says, all the colors I know, I would boycott Rosco and Lee and only buy GAM and Apollo! (Tho I still haven't rec'd a swatchbook, Keith.)

Port it to Mac, fix the Lux colors, and you'll make me very happy.
Adding Apollo and GAM can be v2.0!

Some precicision about the swatchBooks:
What i call RoscoA is in Fact the E-Colour SwatchBook, furthermore with all correction filters missing!!! I will ask Rosco for the correction filter coordonates, and the roscolux coordonates.
Also missing: Lee Filters measured with A illuminant, like Gam and E-colour swatchBook; It will allow us to really compare the filters between producters, but Lee for the moment refuse to give me all the coordonates.
I never seen Apollo Filters, not common in Europ I think, I will ask them for any coordonates.
About Mac OsX, i think it's not for today, sorry; The major problem is that i don't have a Mac....

Thanks for your transatlantic recommendations. It give me some fresh air. Christophe

"Kelite" a member here is an apollo employee. I sent him a private message to make sure he sees your software. He may be able to help you get their gel information. It would be great to have all the gel information available for comparison

Last edited:
Hope I will soon enter in contact with the Appollo Guy. Thanks for your help.

I'm in contact with someone very comprehensive in Rosco UK. I think they will give me the E-Colour Correction filters I need.

About RoscoLux, I went on RoscoUS WebSite. They give full description of all filters, but in CIE1964 10degrees Observer. For the moment, the datas i have are from CIE1931 2degrees Observer, and i think they are not comparable. We 'll see, but i have to be very careful about the coherency of the datas I work with.
To be clear, this are the most important parameters of the datas i can have from manufacturers:
-Which protocol : 2° observer (CIE1931) or 10°Observer (CIE1964)
Which illuminant : Could be illuminant A (2856°K, The most interesting for me, as a dimmed tungsteen user), or 3200°K ( Only Lee give this measure!), illuminant C or D65.

All this work was already very instructive for me. For exemple, I think that i understood why Lee Filters seems more greenish, or less deep than Gam FIlters on tungsteen Source. Gam Color work with A illuminant (2856°K) and i think Lee work more around 3200°K. for the same result, Gam Filters have to be more saturated, just compare G1523 and L201. Gam approach is more accurate since even with 3200°K Lamp, with the voltage loss we go down to illuminant A, And more while dimming.

Hope I will soon enter in contact with the Appollo Guy. Thanks for your help.
I'm in contact with someone very comprehensive in Rosco UK. I think they will give me the E-Colour Correction filters I need.
About RoscoLux, I went on RoscoUS WebSite. They give full description of all filters, but in CIE1964 10degrees Observer. For the moment, the datas i have are from CIE1931 2degrees Observer, and i think they are not comparable. We 'll see, but i have to be very careful about the coherency of the datas I work with.
To be clear, this are the most important parameters of the datas i can have from manufacturers:
-Which protocol : 2° observer (CIE1931) or 10°Observer (CIE1964)
Which illuminant : Could be illuminant A (2856°K, The most interesting for me, as a dimmed tungsteen user), or 3200°K ( Only Lee give this measure!), illuminant C or D65.
All this work was already very instructive for me. For exemple, I think that i understood why Lee Filters seems more greenish, or less deep than Gam FIlters on tungsteen Source. Gam Color work with A illuminant (2856°K) and i think Lee work more around 3200°K. for the same result, Gam Filters have to be more saturated, just compare G1523 and L201. Gam approach is more accurate since even with 3200°K Lamp, with the voltage loss we go down to illuminant A, And more while dimming.

I sent a private message to Keith the Apollo guy and he said he's really busy at work right now but I expect he'll get in touch with you or this thread soon.

No problem, I'm also very busy at work and I have all my time to make any possible evolution. All the discussion i hade in this forum were already very positive for me. Ciao . Christophe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back