Ease in and ease out for Moving Light?

doggmann

Hey hive mind!
I'm working with some Mac 700s and VL 3500s and I'm wondering if there's a way to "ease in" and "ease out" of the movement, so if I have them traveling to one position during a slow fade, then to another position in a follow with another slow fade, they don't look so robotic?
Anyone with some moving light experience? Programming on an Ion, EOS family software. Actually programming blind in Augment3d, as we get so little time in the venue.
Thanks!!

Not a lot of moving light experience here, but a couple of thoughts to throw out.... Wondering if you can apply a profile to that fixture, or even just that channel.... So that the input at both ends isn't linear? Only problem there is it would act that way every time. Otherwise a series of cascading cues with the speed of the head movement different in each (labor intensive)

A profile like a dimming curve but for pan+tilt won't really help, as what you actually want is an acceleration and deceleration curve, which is different to a scaling curving (as applied to dimmers).

I think consecutive cues is the only way unless the fixture itself has a dynamic profile built in. You might be able to vary the ML Speed on the fixture, if it has one while it's moving. but again, that's multiple cues.

On Eos, a curve can be applied to a channel attribute such as Focus, either in patch or on a cue-by-cue basis. As @almorton points out, an acceleration curve would be applied to the Position MSpeed parameter.
Making use of the curve in a cue list requires an intermediate cue since the start and end values for Position MSpeed are likely the same (zero). The intermediate cue would include the maximum value of Position MSpeed.

That's an interesting idea, where the effect time, during which the mspeed ramps up then back down again, is taken from the cue time. Hmmm, that might be feasible. Sort of question that would be worth asking in the EOS group on facebook; there are some serious experts in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back