Easy and bulletproof tool for interfacing X32/OSC with cue mgmt software for mutes/punch-ins?

Ben Stiegler

I'm helping a regional musical theater group tighten things up. With 21+ wireless mics and not always a well seasoned A1, lots of missed queues. I started looking at using QLAB with OSC to control channel mute/unmute -and it looked a little wonky. Anyone aware of something more user-friendly?

In perusing Qlab documentation, I'm seeing a lot about QLAB receiving commands from external OSC sources ... but not the way I am hoping, QLAB controls external devices. Maybe I'm not looking carefully enough?

And I'm not wedded to QLAB - just using it as an example.

@DaveBaxter - do you have this baked into CPP now?

Thx

Ben

Ben,
Yes, I do. It's even a cue type: "Mixer Mute and Control". Enter the X32 IP address, port, and channel range in Defaults. Then just enter the mixer channels where the sound file normally goes. Check the Help file under "OSC Control" for more details and examples of muting and fading.

Why not just use console scenes or snippets?
Good question. 3 reasons

- Concern about running out of them - how many are allowed, and how easy is it to insert a cueor scenebetween 2 previously adjacent ones? Could see needing 100+ such cues in a show.
- desire for easier editing/creating these control fire cues as they can change dynamically thru rehearsals
- placing control in a tool that an A2 can touch if needed, space bar = GO without getting hands in front of the console or needing to dive into menus.

am I making it harder than it needs to be? This is not a regular console for me

Ben,
Yes, I do. It's even a cue type: "Mixer Mute and Control". Enter the X32 IP address, port, and channel range in Defaults. Then just enter the mixer channels where the sound file normally goes. Check the Help file under "OSC Control" for more details and examples of muting and fading.
Sounds great! Looks like I need to download a newer version and check it out.

Both QLab and X32TC will do what you want. I use both in musical theatre with great results. QLab is the "master" controller, controlling X32TC as well as providing the SFX and other cue types. I run X32TC and QLab on the same machine with X32TC communicating with the X32/M32 via OSC.

X32TC is great for modifying DCA assignments, pan and delay and quickly for tech. My hats off to James Holt for generously providing it to the world.

James Holt’s x32 Theatre Control does exactly what you’re looking for. Really easy to understand and use and automates things very nicely.

Also has the ability to be controlled via qLab

I'll be giving this clever piece of software a test in the next two weeks with 2 high schools shows..... provided they happen.

I've been m
X32TC is great for modifying DCA assignments, pan and delay and quickly for tech. My hats off to James Holt for generously providing it to the world.

I've been meaning to try it.

Big thanks to all for these great thoughts - I learned a lot. I really appreciate this community (and hope you occasionally benefit from my er, humor, or expertise)

Have faith, Jay ... lightning season is coming soon, no?

I take it your venue doesn't believe in lifecycle based equipment upgrades?

We bought *two*, when they remodeled 10 years ago.

I haven't convinced the boss to replace both of them with SQ-7's yet.

And yes, we're in the lightning capital of the world. But the backup is in a roadcase.

tho when was the backup last tested? ... perhaps it has died a quiet death. You can borrow my cat and glass rod if desired ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back