Easy Recording

Eboy87

I had a gig last night, and made a recording of a few of the songs. I ran out of the CD out on my Mackie DFX mixer into an iRiver 300 series MP3 player. I mastered it last night in Sony SoundForge, and it sounds great. Only bad thing was the piano and bass weren't miced. Just an idea for someone who doesn't want to buy a hard-disk recorder or an expensive CD-burner.

Ya, I quite seriously considered buying an mp3 player to do something like that with, but in the end i decided to just go out all out and buy a stack of real equipment. However, Mp3 player recording is a viable option, and an option that might make very good sense for some people/situations.

Well, it was either use the line-in on my MP3 or load Sound Forge on my dad's laptop (we get tablets for school next year) and haul that with me. The MP3 worked better than I thought it would.

Well, it was either use the line-in on my MP3 or load Sound Forge on my dad's laptop (we get tablets for school next year) and haul that with me. The MP3 worked better than I thought it would. Besides, it was a church group and we plan to use the recordings to make improvements in our songs.

If you don't mind church music, I can send you a clip in an e-mail

I think that depends on what bitrate Mp3 you record to, and also the quality of the analog to digital converters in the Mp3 player. One of the biggest problems i have found in my looking in to this stuff... they only expect you to be recording class notes and things like that with it, so they dont really go all out on the quality or more frequently, giving you measurements about the quality for comparison.

I often record my audio right to Mp3 simply becaue often i will be recording for 4+ hours at a go and recording that all to wav can start to clog up a harddrive really fast! For music recording, I crank up the bandwith and for Bible Studies (talking) I lower it way down to fit more on my comp. I really doubt many Mp3 players give you the option to do this.... but it sure would be a really cool, handy, feature!

The MP3 I used has a line-in input next to the headphones jack, so I didn't have to use the built-in microphone. Also, the thing records at 128 kbps and at 44KHz. That can be adjusted up or down. As for converters, I used Sony SoundForge on my computer. Still working on EQ-ing the tracks, but I did notice one thing yesterday. The kick-drum had a tendency to clip ever so slighty. You wouldn't notice unless you were looking at the sine wave itself.

Check out MiniDisc recorders on ebay. You should be able to pick one up for less or about the same as an mp3 player. I've seen them sell for less than $100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back