Easy way to collapse this wing?

Hey guys,

So I have this tall curtain wing here, and it is a pain to move sometimes. There are shows where we have to close it in order to open up more space on the stage. We do this by moving the incredibly heavy plate it is mounted on to the wall. (Pole can be detached.) The other end of the pole going horizontal is attached to a rotating C clamp. Vertical Pole's length can be adjusted.

I was wondering if there is something I can rig up to make it collapse easier. Attaching any track to the ceiling is prohibited.

Appreciate any advice! Thanks Y'all!

Attachments

• IMG_20171116_152040606.jpg
    IMG_20171116_152040606.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_20171116_152051773.jpg
    IMG_20171116_152051773.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20171116_152059560.jpg
    IMG_20171116_152059560.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 238
Since you have height at the top of the P&D pole I'd simply get for stem casters, drill the corners of the base plate and set the casters as far out to each corner as possible then drop the top of the upright the same height down as the height of your caster. Viola, Rolling base plate. Since P&D bases are that heavy you could probably go with a relatively lightweight locking stem caster. <Locking so the base doesn't move once you set the base in place.>

Since you have height at the top of the P&D pole I'd simply get for stem casters, drill the corners of the base plate and set the casters as far out to each corner as possible then drop the top of the upright the same height down as the height of your caster. Viola, Rolling base plate. Since P&D bases are that heavy you could probably go with a relatively lightweight locking stem caster. <Locking so the base doesn't move once you set the base in place.>
@Van Locking wheels, locking swivels or both?
Who's Viola, Voila's prettier sister perhaps?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

That was my first thought, and I think I am going to roll with it. Thanks Everyone! :)

"Roll with it" I see what you did there... BTW Welcome aboard and you're gonna fit in here just fine...

@Ryan Rhodes your "tall wing curtain" is widely known as pipe and drape in our industry. It's not really pipe, but aluminum tube.

Depending on how often and how far it needs to move, perhaps just nylon (HDPE) furniture glides under the baseplate instead of casters. The main problem I see is that most horizontals (stretcher s) have a locking button and detents every foot.
proxy.php

If one has to get up on a ladder to press the button, what's the point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back