Ebay store with cheap lights

Wow... you're right, lester, there is not a whole lot of info about them. Small operation - 5-10 employees, sales of $420,000/year average... Oh yeah, and the only other bit of info that I could find was that it was listed as "woman-owned." I don't understand why that's important to know.

For government contracts.

Like lighting the Supreme Court in 1972 with their Quartz Strips?

I saw that about the Supreme Court. I guess Altman wanted too much.
I just ordered the Lamp from Bulbtronics. It's an ESN 100w. MiniCan base.

Ah. Well I think it's pretty cool that such a small company is so ambitious. I would think they would have a bigger market in community theatres and such but since I've never heard of them here, nor anywhere else for that matter, I wonder how they stay in business. I guess that's why they started the eBay thing. They only have one sale (2 including mine) but again, I think they just started out in the eBay business. I really hope they are doing ok financially, because I could see myself buying all kinds of strip lights and some of their smaller instruments... Provided the quality is as good as they say it is.

Going from their website, they seem to be sincere with goals in innovation. Not necessarily with their design platforms, but you can tell they have added some personal touch (like the counter-balance yoke). My take is that they're a hybrid of older designs and proven technology coupled with some of their own concepts and specifications. I'll probably get a taste of what they're all about when I receive my 3" Fresnel. Which will of course come with a full review and detailed pictures.

Ah. Well I think it's pretty cool that such a small company is so ambitious. I would think they would have a bigger market in community theatres and such but since I've never heard of them here, nor anywhere else for that matter, I wonder how they stay in business. I guess that's why they started the eBay thing. They only have one sale (2 including mine) but again, I think they just started out in the eBay business. I really hope they are doing ok financially, because I could see myself buying all kinds of strip lights and some of their smaller instruments... Provided the quality is as good as they say it is.
Going from their website, they seem to be sincere with goals in innovation. Not necessarily with their design platforms, but you can tell they have added some personal touch (like the counter-balance yoke). My take is that they're a hybrid of older designs and proven technology coupled with some of their own concepts and specifications. I'll probably get a taste of what they're all about when I receive my 3" Fresnel. Which will of course come with a full review and detailed pictures.

They must be really excited with all of the website traffic from curious control booth members. I am tempted to buy one of the 2" ERSes. I think that would be cool to shoot a gobo on my bedroom door from across the hall.

I was thinking about those too. They would be SO COOL in a media room or something. The Altman ones go for at least $165. each.

Their "new" products are just Chauvet products.

So what's the verdict?

Well, seems as though they are slow in shipping... Heck I only paid $8.00 S&H... But they have had good contact and follow up and I'm expecting it this week. I received the lamp from Bulbtronics so I will be able to test it as soon as I get it and there will be pictures and probably a short review. I'm not expecting much for the price but it should give us some insight on the quality of the rest of their products. :)

My college has some lights from packaged lighting that were bought in the 50's ( go figure) The ellipsoidal's are crap, but don't look like the ones on the website. The Fresnel's are decent, but again aren't exactly the same as the ones shown on eBay. The strips are decent but the gel frames on them aren't very handy. Ill post pics in a day or two.

Pic's would be great, thanks!

Well, seems as though they are slow in shipping... Heck I only paid $8.00 S&H... But they have had good contact and follow up and I'm expecting it this week. I received the lamp from Bulbtronics so I will be able to test it as soon as I get it and there will be pictures and probably a short review. I'm not expecting much for the price but it should give us some insight on the quality of the rest of their products. :)

Hi Lester has your new light arrived yet?
I am waiting to hear your impressions.

Yes, I did get it a few weeks ago. Sorry I haven't updated, I haven't had a lot of time. I still need to take pictures of it. My impression is that it's actually pretty decent quality. Almost that of a 65Q fresnel. The construction uses a fairly thick gauge steel and it seems to be put together well. It has a genuine fiberglass whip (none of that rubber you see on Chinese stuff). The only derogatory things about it so far: The fixture did not include a color frame, the hole in the yoke will only fit a mini-clamp, and the lamp focusing action seems loose.

Let me elaborate on the lamp tray. It seems to have some left-to-right play, which can throw the lamp off center with the lens. With a little tweeking of the focus knob, you can get it there, but you will have to do that every time you focus it. It does affect the beam if it's too far off center. Over all, good spot to flood focus.

Also, I'm not sure what brand of lamp base they use, but it has an aluminum a shim in the shape of a half circle to hold it in place. It has this groove around the center where it sits in its holder, and the shim holds it in there. I will try to take some pictures to explain it better.

In the end, I say its worth the money and I'd buy more for small display lighting purposes or where power is limited. I'm currently bidding on a PLS 3.5" leko on ebay (still sitting at 9.95) and if I win it I'll let you know what you think of it as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back