Edge Blending non-identical projectors

rphilip

Background:
I work a University and one of the departments that puts on programs is wanting to look into doing an edge blended rear projection background for one of our weekly program series'.

We currently have a 12k lumen Sanyo PLC-XF1000 1024x768 that we use in the same space on a a 9x12 screen and it's ok for brightness. I've used rented/borrowed 9k and 10k projectros beside my 12k onto 3x 9x12 screens (non-blended) which also worked. I have a 1.2x lens on my 12k and would get similar lenses for what ever projector we buy as I've got limited rear depth.

Target screen size is at least 30' wide, and around 9' tall. We would have to setup the screen and projectors about 20-25x a year. Storage would be in the same building but down one floor.

Questions:
While we certainly could get 2 more 4:3 projectors I'd rather not spend that kind of money on "old" technology. On the other hand will I hate my self trying to allign non-matching projectors if I buy 2x 16:9 ~12k lumen projectors?

I don't have any particular edge blend solution in mind, ProPresenter and Q-Lab are what I intend to research first. I don't know a whole lot yet about what content will be on screen. My guess is some sort of video loop. Any comments here are also welcome.

Thanks

Philip

The biggest challenge that you face is being able to color match the projectors. It will be best to get two of the same model if possible.

Check out this somewhat dated article as a good primer on the topic.

I think several models of Panasonic projectors (and maybe others) have edge blending built in. If you are setting them up every two weeks, two matching projectors would be the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back