Control/Dimming EDI Bijou Console Problems

luckbe

I have a Bijou light console that is about 12 years old. It is sending some kind of phantom signal to the dimmers that cause a "hit" on various instruments, including the house lights. This is a random signal. The instruments "flash" , almost like an effect. The Bijou monitor cue indicator color is white, and when this occurs the channel indicator flashes white as well. Anyone have any ideas? I've cleared all patches, cues, sub's, effects, etc. The board has been dependable up until now. It is also used almost daily. My diagnosis is impending console failure, but hopefully someone has had this problem and can give us an opinion.

Thanks

Are you sure the EDI console is giving out the errors and not the dimmer racks? See if you can get a loaner board in there to narrow down the problem. It would be a shame to send out your console only to find out that it was the CEM in the dimmer rack. In any event, I doubt your console is facing impending doom, even if the console is at fault. It could just be a DMX chip that needs replacing.

For assistance with your console, DimmerDotCom is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to EDI gear.

You might also try calling EDI (Cooper Controls) directly at 1-800-553-3879 (M-F). They are a very nice and helpful group.
Hope this helps!

EDIT: Just read closer to find that your console registers this change in which case, it would not be the dimmers. It sounds almost like there is some kind of effect running in the background because the fact that the console displays this change means that it knows good and well what it is doing, as if it is following a command entered. Who knows. Either way, it sounds like a simple fix. Good luck with it!!

Last edited:
Hum... is there some kind of factory reset for that board? That sounds like a good step... just make sure anything you need is backed up first. If so, back up, reset, create a new show file and mess around with it... does it do it?, if not then either the reset solved it or it's in the show file, if it keeps doing it, then there is something wrong with the console.

I am just always curious about various lighting consoles and could not find this one online after doing a search. Does anyone know where I could find a picture of one or does anyone know of a picture that they could post in this thread?

edionline.com seems to have been obfuscated by Cooper Controls/Zero88.

See EDI Controls.
proxy.php

Or...http://www.zero88controls.com/commo...rical - Controls: EDI Lighting Desks&id=17790

Last edited:
In addition to Derek's post--

My Bijou 48 looks like this:
(EDI-Cooper calls this the 'two-tier' design)

proxy.php

Don't worry, I do have some slider caps on order :)

I was calling this the 'Bijou Plus' but was then told by an EDI tech that the Bijou Plus is the model with the moving light controls, like this:

proxy.php

I can turn my Bijou 48 into a Bijou Plus by purchasing the ControlFreak:

proxy.php

Operationally and capability-wise it is very similar to an ETC Express.

Pretty decent board really. Intel processor inside and good build quality.

luckbe, don't rule out a software problem. Sometimes a corrupted showfile or something of that nature can cause a desk to do weird things.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your pictures! This was a great response! I have an express 48/96 at my high school. It is all very basic. Only conventional fixtures, no movers, etc. Maybe I should start a forum where you just post pictures of your console. I am just extremely curious as to what is used in the industry. I only have experience with ETC boards. Thanks again.

I have a Bijou 48/96 that is 11 yrs old. There is a clear memory button on the logic board and sometimes I have to do a hard erase to mine. Back up your data to disc and then clear out the memory. These old boards are hard memory - machine language written to E-Prom and they quit writing updates some years ago. Might be time for a cleaning and a new CMOS battery too. The Intel i960 CPU is pretty robust, but they can get hot if they get dirty just like any computer.

My board has been a pain since it was new - [I didn't buy it - it wasn't me. :lol: ] It's been back to the factory three times and last year I had to start replacing the pressure switches on the PCB key board - I love soldering on PCBs - what fun!! :evil: I have to keep this console running till I get a new one and then I'm going to keep it for student use.

I'm going to replace it with an Element 60/500. That's the best bang for the buck for our facility IMO. No movers, no scrollers and none in forseeable future budgets.

Good luck with yours.

Last edited:
I have a Bijou 48/96 that is 11 yrs old. There is a clear memory button on the logic board and sometimes I have to do a hard erase to mine. Back up your data to disc and then clear out the memory. These old boards are hard memory - machine language written to E-Prom and they quit writing updates some years ago. Might be time for a cleaning and a new CMOS battery too. The Intel i960 CPU is pretty robust, but they can get hot if they get dirty just like any computer.

My board has been a pain since it was new - [I didn't buy it - it wasn't me. :lol: ] It's been back to the factory three times and last year I had to start replacing the pressure switches on the PCB key board - I love soldering on PCBs - what fun!! :evil: I have to keep this console running till I get a new one and then I'm going to keep it for student use.

I'm going to replace it with an Element 60/500. That's the best bang for the buck for our facility IMO. No movers, no scrollers and none in forseeable future budgets.

Good luck with yours.
Where is the button?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back