EDI Mark VII Multilink Control Interface

Post your issue, even if nobody has one that doesn’t mean we can’t try to help with the issue.

Check with Steve Short at Lite-trol, [email protected] 485 West John St. Hicksville, NY 11801
1-800-LITE-TRO (548-3876). They may have one or could fix yours.
Also, Knight Sound and Lighting, go knight.com, seems to have a lot of stuff about EDI on their website and says they do repairs.

Thanks very much for the lead!
I encourage you to call Steve Short. He has an amazing knowledge of older systems and is very much willing to help you diagnose problems over the phone. Lite-Trol has quite reasonable repair rates and offers expedited service if you need it.
Saved my bacon several times!
Johnson Systems at https://johnsonsystems.com/edi_120.htm has a replacement module specifically for the Multilink Mark VII if you intend to keep your dimmer rack. It's not cheap but way cheaper than a new rack.

EDI_150_image.jpg

Last edited:
I encourage you to call Steve Short. He has an amazing knowledge of older systems and is very much willing to help you diagnose problems over the phone. Lite-Trol has quite reasonable repair rates and offers expedited service if you need it.
Saved my bacon several times!
Johnson Systems at https://johnsonsystems.com/edi_120.htm has a replacement module specifically for the Multilink Mark VII if you intend to keep your dimmer rack. It's not cheap but way cheaper than a new rack.

View attachment 21304
Have you installed any of the retrofits?

Have you installed any of the retrofits?
Sean Johnson's CD80 retrofit card cages (complete with fans) are plug (matching) and play. Mr. Johnson builds Strand better than Strand did. There's also an installation of 96 of his 1.2 Kw dimmers within a few miles of my abode; the owners are / were extremely pleased with the dimmers, at least they were when they were open for business.
Think POSITIVE.
Test NEGATIVE.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Taking a step backward to the time of the dinosaurs, but until we achieve a new budgetary approach, does anyone have either of these multilink units in working condition?

Attachments

• EDI Multilink1.JPG
    EDI Multilink1.JPG
    614 KB · Views: 125
  • EDI Multilink2.JPG
    EDI Multilink2.JPG
    596.5 KB · Views: 114
Thanks for your input. We've been looking at this as an option and at the same time trying to figure out a fix to also making this work with house lighting.
Are you trying to replace remote fader or pushbutton houselight stations or is there some other issue? As I understand Multilink from the catalog description, it is a pin matrix patch panel allowing one to patch 60 or 120 dimmers to 10 remote analog 0-10 faders.
If you go with the Johnson Systems retrofit unit, it already has that capability except patching to 4 remote analog 0-10 faders.
I'm sure they can talk you thru how that works with their retrofit unit and may even have more capable remote panels.

You could get a Fleenor PRE10A 10-button DMX remote and either daisy-chain with your console or put it in DMX input B on the EDI-120 retrofit controller. There are other solutions as well.

Are you trying to replace remote fader or pushbutton houselight stations or is there some other issue? As I understand Multilink from the catalog description, it is a pin matrix patch panel allowing one to patch 60 or 120 dimmers to 10 remote analog 0-10 faders.
If you go with the Johnson Systems retrofit unit, it already has that capability except patching to 4 remote analog 0-10 faders.
I'm sure they can talk you thru how that works with their retrofit unit and may even have more capable remote panels.

You could get a Fleenor PRE10A 10-button DMX remote and either daisy-chain with your console or put it in DMX input B on the EDI-120 retrofit controller. There are other solutions as well.
Looking for the used multilink's to serve as a back-up in case of failure. A band-aid if you will to provide a minor insurance policy until we can put things in place for a major replacement upgrade. As to the house lighting issue, everyone I have spoken with has stated that it can be done, but it would be an involved process. We have approximately a dozen D300C key stations tied to non-dims; (3) D406/D102 wall stations: and (1) D404 wall station. There is also a SubCommander located at the Stage Manager's desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back