Edison dimmer packs that don't suck

curtis73

I have 4 Leviton DMX 4-channel edison dimmer packs (DMX4-MD5 if I recall correctly) that suck. The LED displays are failing and they aren't operating correctly so I can't see what address they are half the time. First, I can't use them with LEDs unless I put an additional load on that channel. Otherwise, dimmable LEDs glow even at zero, and non-dimmable LEDs flicker. As soon as I put a dummy load on the channel (light bulb or something) they will operate OK. Some of the channels refuse to respond to DMX and randomly turn on when they want to.

Is there anything inside that I can repair? Are there Edison dimmer packs that don't suck? I use them frequently for practicals and depending on how the house is configured (black box with modular seating) I use them to control drop sockets for house lights.

Not mine, but like this:

1675699576181.png

First, I can't use them with LEDs unless I put an additional load on that channel. Otherwise, dimmable LEDs glow even at zero, and non-dimmable LEDs flicker. As soon as I put a dummy load on the channel (light bulb or something) they will operate OK.
This is just a characteristic of most triac based dimmers paired with the majority of LED bulbs. every pack I know of does this, to the extent that they usually have something along the lines of "tungsten loads only" plastered all over the case.

All of your other problems sound like failing packs, or problems with DMX. As for better quality packs overall (won't fix the LED thing) look at something like the Leviton NSI DDS 6000, or Leprechaun ULD series.

ADJ does make some slick inline ghost loads specifically for the led ghosting issue. I don't remember the model off the top of my head, but they are easy to find and get ahold of. It's basically just a resistor that sits across the dimmed AC line.

ADJ does make some slick inline ghost loads specifically for the led ghosting issue

Need a couple of these for my kit. Less unwieldy than mirror ball motors...

All of your other problems sound like failing packs, or problems with DMX.
It's possible, however I would think it is a problem with the DMX in the dimmers. I've never had any other fixture have issues with DMX, but my edison dimmers are a mess.

For reference, the grid is full of colorsource pars, phoenix RGBW, some old colorados, and two rogue spots, so the only incandescents I have are house lights, practicals, and other random things that need to be DMX controlled with the dimmer boxes. The whole grid is controlled by an older ION console.

Need a couple of these for my kit. Less unwieldy than mirror ball motors...

I can snag some of those. For now I have a 40w bulb on that channel stuffed in a metal paint can for tech week purposes

How much life should I expect from one?
They are very hit/miss. I don't think I've gotten more than a few years out of one. Usually it's the triacs that fail l, which can be replaced if you are good with a soldering iron. But control failures often happen as well, and they are often tricky to sort out.

There are also "shoebox" packs from Dove Systems and Lightronics (5 year warranty I think) that are pretty robust. I've bought and sold several of both on eBay without issue and if there is, they both have excellent tech support.

Take a look into the used market for a ULD. Since they're an industry workhorse, there are typically used packs to be had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back