Edumacate Me On Light Boards for Small Theatres

cjsully

Hi All,

I run a smaller sized theatre company in Chicago and am looking to write a grant to buy a new light board for us. Problem is, I don't really know all that much when it comes to them. I have stage managed in the past on what we affectionately call, "My First Light Board", a Leprechaun. I don't know any model number, but suffice it to say, it's a preset board and I'm looking to upgrade us to a memory console.

I have received recommendations for ETC Express or Expression Boards, and Strand LBX. I've seen some talk on forums here regarding Element and Ion, but most of this is just static to my ears because I really don't understand what they do, or how much we need. I need to understand enough to target a few models for pricing out for the sake of the grant, preferably in the 1k - 3k range. (Also any thoughts on where to reliably buy such a unit - used or new - would be helpful.)

I'm not sure what details are important... we have a 65 seat house and I believe a 12 pack dimmer. Might be 16. Like I said, I've stage managed so I'm familiar but I've never done design myself so the exact details are lost. I now run the company and know that upgrading is necessary (because that's what happens... you start out stage managing a few shows, demonstrate you can be in charge, and then blam! you're running the whole enchilada ;)). Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Carrie J. Sullivan
Managing Director
Factory Theater

It is hard to give a great answer without knowing more about what your system is and what your future expansion plans are. If you really only have 12-16 dimmers and you don't think you are going to upgrade much in the next 5-10 years it makes a big difference.

First of all, the ETC Express(ion) line is discontinued. While you can find them used, and they were great consoles, they are not worth spending your money on today. The Strand LBX is long dead, and Strand is notorious for not only discontinuing the hardware, but the support as well. So, there is noreason to even entertain the recommendations you have received thus far.

From the sound of what you described, the ETC Element or maybe even a SmartFade would be suitable for what you do. The Element will probably provide a little better futureproofing than the SmartFade, but SmartFade will save you money. Both console are perfectly capable of controlling the system you describe. The Element is more of a true theatre console compared to the Smartfade, and the software is based on ETC's larger consoles, so the skills you learn to program it will be transferrable if you ever work someplace with other new ETC consoles like Eos, Ion, and Gio.

Strand also has consoles that could work for you. One of their lower end Light Palettes would probably be fine. no matter what you do, you should talk to your local dealers and get demos of the consoles you are interested in. You are going to have to program it, so make sure you actually like it before you buy it! Also, look at what other people in your area are using and what your local rental shop has in their stock. If you get something that other people in your area are using or rent, then it is easy to get help or a replacement if yours fails.

Your insights on the Express and LBX are invaluable, thank you. That is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to learn by posting on this forum cuz I really have no idea.

Our plans for future expansion are admittedly murky. We're rather locked into our current space due to financial constraints, although the goal of a space of our own might be in our 5 year plan, which we're going to suss out this summer. At any rate, I think it's probably wisest for me to purchase something with our current space in mind. I will definitely look into prices for the Element and SmartFade boards. I also floated a few inquisitive emails to a couple lighting designers that have worked for us for their insights as well.

Cheers!!

The Element is more than you need but other than the Smartfade the bottom of the foodchain as far as current boards are concerned. I am not a Strand guy so the equivilant will need to come from others.
The other question is going to be what dimmers do you have. Obviously what you are using is analog so you will need to buy a convertor to translate DMX to analog, probably 0/10v. Look on your dimmers and get the model and manufacture of them so we can recommend the correct convertor. You will want to put that in your grant.
There are also software boards that you can use fairly cheaply to put off a huge price tag.

I've been looking around the interwebs based on what I've learned so far and am starting to hone in on either the Element or the SmartFade ML. The grant I'm writing allows for budgets up to $5k so I'm inclined to shoot for the higher end in anticipation that I might end up receiving less. I have a text out to one of my lighting guys regarding the number of dimmers we have, so I will ask him about the model and manufacturer too. I want to say that it's also a Leprechaun because he often refers to it as a "Leppie" or "Leppie Pack". I don't live at the theatre (although it sure feels like it sometimes!) so I can't check it now but hopefully he'll get back to me soon. Thank you!

Quick update: we have 12 dimmers, 2.4 kW, 100 amps, and it's an ETC Sensor.

So you won't be needing a converter.

First of all, the ETC Express(ion) line is discontinued. While you can find them used, and they were great consoles, they are not worth spending your money on today.

ETC still supports all of their consoles, and there are still used in a ton of spaces. Depending on what you are planning on doing in your 5 year plan, a used Express may be a very good investment.

If you are planning on expanding a lot, or will need this next console to last a LONG time, then the Element will probably get you farthest. (Not that Express won't last, but designers and programmers will look for more and more features the Express doesn't have).

This isn't quite what you are looking for, but what model Leprecon board do you have? Many of the ones that speak DMX do have some programability in terms of subs and cue stacks. They also do make some modern boards, but I haven't used anything newer/higher up the feature scale than the 1500 series 2 scene preset board. If your current console is programmable, that might be enough to tide you over until your plans for how the lighting system will be expanded in the future (LED, mover, more dimmers, etc), some of which may or may not mesh well with the boards you are considering today.

This isn't quite what you are looking for, but what model Leprecon board do you have? Many of the ones that speak DMX do have some programability in terms of subs and cue stacks. They also do make some modern boards, but I haven't used anything newer/higher up the feature scale than the 1500 series 2 scene preset board. If your current console is programmable, that might be enough to tide you over until your plans for how the lighting system will be expanded in the future (LED, mover, more dimmers, etc), some of which may or may not mesh well with the boards you are considering today.

My guess? 600 series...he says it's a crossfade, and I see 600 series everywhere, particularly 612. That being said, for the price range they might have, I'd suggest an on PC solution, although Chamsys has a fairly high learning curve and I don't know a better suited one off the top of my head.

The bottom of the Strand Palette line is the Basic Palette. I cannot find an accurate price, but I do believe it falls slightly less or about the same as Element 40. The only time I called Strand for support was the middle of LDI and I got nobody, but our distributors have been more than helpful sorting out the various problems.

The software is the same no matter what version of this line you have, although it hasn't been even close to as adopted as Eos software, which Element runs, is...

cjsully, see the fine folks at Chicago Spotlight, DesignLab Chicago, or Grand Stage. Any/all will be happy to assist you.

Agreed. Any of those companies will blow the dust off of anything in their back room and be more then happy to have a shoot out with the gear. Have you also considered that with 5k you might also be able to pick up another 12 pack? Finally, ask your lighting people what they like to use and what other venues they work with have.

My guess? 600 series...he says it's a crossfade, and I see 600 series everywhere, particularly 612. That being said, for the price range they might have, I'd suggest an on PC solution, although Chamsys has a fairly high learning curve and I don't know a better suited one off the top of my head.

If it is a 612 or 624, there is a limited 50 cue stack on it. I've had to use that route before, its not fun, but it beats trying to recreate 50 levels each run.

I actually am a project manager here at Grand Stage please give us a call at 312.332.5611 we will be more than happy to have a more direct conversation with you. Ask for John, Greg, or Michael.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back