Effects Processors

Do you regularly use an effects processor?

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a what?

• I only do lights

• Total voters

avkid

Not a New User
Fight Leukemia
I am in need of a quick education on effects processors,the Alesis Midiverb 4 in particular. A show over the weekend sounded like @#$ until I defeated the effects processor by turning to the same setting as the other two processors,I would like to learn how to use it correctly!

I'm not familiar with this particular processor (we use a Yamaha SPX990), but I would suggest downloading the manual and reading it. That's the best way to learn about equipment IMO.

There's no across the board answer, really. On my last tour, we had two separate processors patched (it was a PM1D, so they were internal), one for the orchestra and one for vocals. The orchestra one was used fairly regularly, albeit very lightly, while the vocal one rarely got any use.

On my current tour, I again have the availability of two processors in my 02R, but since I play big boomy arenas most of the time, I don't use them. When I played a very, very heavily treated arena that sounded deader than many recording studios, the first thing I did was dial in a little bit of reverb to make things sound more natural.

--A

Print it in the library at school - that's what I do. :)

I can't get away with that unless I print less than 10 pages a day! (my mother is a librarian in the district,so I can't get away with much to begin with)

I actually used an effect processor for the first time during a show last thursday at our Battle of the Bands. Actualy, i am not even sure if you can call it an effects processor, it's a built in effects processor right on my school's mixer. The MCs were having a REALLY hard time (totally unprepared) and the next band wasnt setup yet, so they were just standing there and I fliped on the "Magic Pitch" effect letting me raise their voice really high or make it go really low. This gave them abit of fun and was baicly the height of the MCs preformance because they acted completly silly and stuipd with it (which was kinda their job to start with). I was sitting with the board, right infront of them, so they were able to quickly check that it wasnt something going wrong.... I dont know if i'd do it again, but I defanatly think it was the right thing to do under the really aquard circumstances.

>"defeated the effects processor by turning to the same setting as the other two processors,I would like to learn how to use it correctly!"<

From your post it sounds like you have the effects processor across the main mix?

Is that right?

If so thats why it sounds bad. Use a post aux send (usally post, seen some engineers who prefer pre tho?) to the processor then return it either by an aux return, or, if you have the channels use a normal channel (or two panned for stereo) for more options (better eq,phase,assignment,fader length etc). With this you can send indivdual signals to it, say, give the vocals some reverb or delay, put some verb on the snare etc...

Hope this helps somewhat. If you want a good tutorial go to www.pasystems.us (i thinks!) its got a very good guide to setting up a PA, including effects.

jammers said:
>"defeated the effects processor by turning to the same setting as the other two processors,I would like to learn how to use it correctly!"<

From your post it sounds like you have the effects processor across the main mix?

Is that right?

If so thats why it sounds bad.

I agree, you need to learn to use an insert cable, chances are your board has the inputs for them.

I screwed around with it during rehearsal on wednesday and found a great setting described as a bright vocal plate.

Effects on an insert? I think not. You want to be able to blend the effected (or wet) audio with the dry audio, and it's a lot easier to do this in the console than in the processor. Plus you may want to send multiple inputs to the processor.

The processor should be patched to an aux output, and then returned to two inputs on the board (often a single stereo channel is used). This gives you the most control.

Inserts are for things like outboard EQs, compressors, and that sort of thing.

--A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back