Elation/ADJ scene setter 24 question.

jtweigandt

I'm going in to consult tomorrow with a now teacher I've known since was a little one. Now middle school choir/drama teacher.
They have a scene setter 24. She right now has no idea how things are set up. Little Mermaid goes up March 1-3 Sent me a pic.. they have house lights on first six sliders
Assuming whatever theatrical lights they have are on the remaining.

Downloaded and speed read the manual.. one thing unclear, am I right in assuming that the channels and dmx output are a 1:1 direct patch? No info in the manual about patching that I could see.

Probably going to sort out and label whatever comes on when running manually. Probably going to recommend just doing manual "lights up" "lights down" because programming this thing looks more busking oriented and very tedious. Long term I may put them on an a/b switch for the dmx and get them an old pc, and put them on an educational nomad license. Day to day ops they could still run like they are used to, so anyone can still turn on the lights, Showtime, they could have an option with more versatility.

They are only 1:1 as far as I know, at least the ones I've owned and used have been that way. I definitely wouldn't do any "programming" with it. There is no legitimate cue stack, There might be some sort of submaster type thing, but almost 100% for chases and similar effects. I would leave it in 2-scene mode. Will be much a better teaching tool that way as well.

I've used a similar unit for a primary school show and recorded "looks" aka scenes rather than cues and just manually selected each scene. Kind of worked. Easier than scrabbling about setting levels, especially with an LED rig, however small.

Spent a little more time with the manual tonight, and looks like I can set up the bottom row as submasters. You can program a chase to be played back by any slider on the second row.. you put the board in a different mode for playback, where the sliders on the bottom are used for a different purpose. .. the chase being a series of steps that have any of the 24 channels at any level. It looks like if my chase is just one step, I can have the equivalent of a conventional programmed sub master. There are 12 sliders that can be programmed and used in that mode, and 4 pages.. so I could have 48 presets.. Much better than trying to have someone move 18 sliders to perfect positions on the fly. In the end, board op just needs to know where to put the A and B faders and the mode indicator at the beginning of the show.. then there is just one button to page through the 4 pages, and 12 sliders on each page at their disposal.

Bundling those house lights may give a few more addresses, but no soft patching at the board. PM sent.
I don't think the PM sent.. but thanks.. I don't know what their dimmer stack is, and not sure what other day user light panel the house lights may be cut in on, so I'm probably going to have to leave the house lights alone. It will be an interesting fact finding mission. Now I'm hoping nobody changed the programming lock code.

Interesting. Did you try the small envelope, top right next to your name?
Mostly sent keep it simple suggestions, from helping grade schools and high-schools, that do not invest in the technical side of arts programs.

OK .. turns out that setting a scene/chase with only one step does indeed give you the ability with a simple set of instructions set up 48 individual submasters.
Young teacher is a lifer at our community theater... literally grew up there, so not intimidated by that process.

Their stage lighting is a random mess right now.. but a label maker and some spare bulbs and about 4 hours will fix that.

The dimmer stack is NSI 9600 2x NSI 9800 and mercifully NSI ds8 The 9600 and 9800 look like you have to just choose a base address and live with the serial sequence of addresses. The ds8 I can consolidate the house lights by setting 6 dimmers to the same address..

Fortunately all the dimmer packs have stage plug output, not hard wired, so I can do a little "Ernistine" plug work to group things more logically on the stage hang.

So the plan is ds8 gos to the first 6 address dmx1 dimmers 7 and 8 to dmx 2 and 3.. then swap the stage plugs so the house runs off the ds8. Everything else set an appropriate base address and I will have board control of 29 out of our 30 available dimmers. As it was the board was controlling the house lights on 6 seperate addresses, but then only 18 of the remaining 26 dimmers were board controlled. Next thurs is conferences so I can have building access again.

I sent her a heads up with the permission vs forgiveness question if we consolidate the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back