Elation Design Spots

thelightguy87

hey all,

So doing some research trying to figure out differences between the Elation Design Spot 250 and the 250 Pro. They seem to be pretty darn similar so lemme know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike

not a single response...wow.

The one guy who knows the differences well is CB user SerraAva, who hasn't been on here in a while if I recall. From some old PMs of his, I dug up that for anything over 2.5 meters away, the DS250 is brighter than the DS250 Pro. The DS250 Pro has improved LCD display and a better menu, apparently. The main feature of the DS250 Pro that I see is the replaceable colors, but I think the color selection on the DS250s is actually pretty decent, but replacing some of the colors might be desired in some cases.

Thanks, Interesting about the 250 being brighter than the pro. for the price difference i'd expected a bigger difference. But i just couldn't find major differences when looking at the specs of each one.

Thanks, Interesting about the 250 being brighter than the pro. for the price difference i'd expected a bigger difference. But i just couldn't find major differences when looking at the specs of each one.

Essentially, Elation realized that they were stupid to not put a replaceable color wheel in to start with, so they decided to improve a few other things of the fixture and sell it for more money. At least that's what it seems like.

EDIT: I will add that if you're looking to get some of these, I have seen the DS250s in use, and they're quite nice. They were on a tour that was using a chevy van to transport the gear and another van for the band/other people, and the lights weren't even roadcased - just riding free. But they worked fine, and the guy hadn't had any problems with them yet. They have a decent gobo selection and the colors don't absolutely suck. I do say, however, that Elation could have engineered them to be slightly smaller (especially in overall height), but hey, for what they are they're decent. Plus, they have an iris - which is really nice for a light at this level. I will take a 250 Entour over them every day, but hey, for about half the price, it's a pretty darn good light.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back