Elation DMX Operator 192 Pro

muvment

I need a cheap controller to tide me over until I can afford a nicer one. I've got a pair of technobeams and either a pair of Mac 250s or 4 trackspots.

Is this board capable of doing some decent live programming on the fly? Or at least putting together a good show that can be adjusted very quickly in real time? Or, in the alternative, will I be upset that I wasted my money on this thing (at approx $270 after shipping)?
I will probably be a bit embarrassed of using an Elation deck, but thats why they put us lighting guys in the back.

in the elation line I belive most of the recommendations for any movers is to use the Showdesigner I. I think you will find that the 192 will be a nightmare to try to use.

If cost is an object I would also look at the pc based systems. Elation sells the compu club system.

Sharyn

The software is actually free on Elation's website. You just have to buy the dongle to use it with any lights. SHARYNF is also right, Show Design is an easier, better board.

It looks for its own, don't think any of the generics have implimented the same handshake. Sometime the Club version 2 shows up pretty cheap, and it works quite well. If I recal the club is also the Sunlite software
Sharyn

SHARYNF is right again, it looks for its own dongle, meaning Elation's. I have tried using other generic dongles with the software, and it didn't work. I even got a hold of an SD3D dongle, and it didn't work. Used dongles can be had pretty cheap though.

After doing some research, I have discovered that Light Jockey is the crem de la crem of software based DMX control. However, it is locked to its dongle. There is a hack floating out there that allows LJ to link with the enttec $50 dongle, but i have not yet uncovered it. It wouldn't even fall within copyright violations because the LJ software is free (but it is probably a violation of the shrink wrap license, and therefore, a contract violation).
If I go with enttec for the short term, and I cannot find the proper crack, the I would go with MagicQ and Freestyler and see how that works out. There are some decent controllers, such as this guy. Anyone have any experience with this software package?
proxy.php

I have used Light Jockey before, didn't really like it. Then again, I don't really like Elation's either. As far as your other combos go, I have no idea. I can say this much though, if your looking for something that you can expand, Hog PC is the best. You can start with just the software working on a computer, and then add wings, touch screens, etc etc as your needs grow or have more money to spend. It can be moved up to a complete console if you wanted. The problem is it will cost more money then I am sure you are willing to spend right now.

Lot's of choices, so I would advise since most of the software is free, download and try each one. Weigh what you like and dislike about each one vs how much you want to spend. Don't just rush out, buy something, and then kick yourself latter because you hate or doesn't work like you need it to. Others may like something that you hate, or visa versa.

I spent a lot of time researching control options in my price range (under $1000), and for the amount of flexibility and features that I need, I had to go with software. I looked at them all, and while Light Jockey seemed like the best, I just couldn't afford it.

I went with Bluelite X1 mini from Innovate Show Controls (www.innovateshowcontrols.com). They Make a 1 universe dongle that costs $400. This with a cheap $200 DMX in (24 channel board) and you're well on your way. They have great support and it's very easy to learn. You can be programing right away. You can add touch screens, USB midi controll etc. They have also started bundling the software with a visualizer (Capture).
You should definitely check it out, it's well worth your time.

If you're looking for something cheap and GREAT, that you can slowly add on to, this is it. You can add up to 4 X1 Mini dongles (giving you 4 universes)

(their main product is a 4 universe rack mount unit)

I have used a DMX55 which is basically the same type of thing but by Chauvet. It's no too bad on the fly as long as you have some time to set up some preprogrammed things. The biggest problem is that most of the low end boards do not give you a way to channel patch, so if you are using more than one style of fixture, different features end up in different places for different fixtures. (I would have to double check that on the Elation website.) Lets face it, the more money you spend, the more flexible the product. I do have a reservation or two about using a laptop and dongle to run a live show. I just feel it can be awkward without enough planning. (That and risking your sanity that Window$ won't lock up!) But, that's just me. Some of the "Soft Boards" are pretty darn cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back