Elation DP-640B Dimmer

Does anyone have any experience with this Dimmer? We are wanting to buy some value priced dimmers for our upcoming tour, and these seem pretty good.

What I can't seem to get straight it the load they will output to each channel. It has a total of 6 channels, each with dual Edison sockets. From my understanding of electrics (very limited knowledge), if each 3 channels has a 20amp power input, then that's 2,400 watts total per 3 channels, or 800 watts per channel.

Am I right in this thinking? Or is there something I'm not following?

Thanks,
Landon :)

I own about 6 of these dimmers and i have had them out on tour for about 2 years now and have not had a single problem with them. With these packs you can load channels 1-3 up to 2400 watts total or as you said 800 watts per channel. Each channel can handle a 2400 watt load by itself, so if you have 4 1k pars for example and you only want to use two channels you can plug 2 of them into channel 1 and then the other 2 into channel 4. You can softpatch dimmer channel 4 as dmx channel 2, so that when you bring up channel 1 channel 1 comes up and when you bring up channel 2 channel 4 of the dimmer comes up. Also a cool feature on them is they have both 5 and 3 pin connections on them eliminating the need to use turn arounds on them.

... if each 3 channels has a 20amp power input, then that's 2,400 watts total per 3 channels, or 800 watts per channel.

Am I right in this thinking? Or is there something I'm not following?...
Your thinking is accurate, but seeing as how there's no OCP on the outputs (something that would concern me), it appears one could also put 2400W on one channel and zero on the other two. Hopefully you'll be using one 500W or 575W lamp on each channel so this won't be an issue.

That the pack comes equipped with two NEMA 5-20 input plugs could be problematical, as your source and any extension cords must then also be equipped with 5-20 connectors.
proxy.php

As soon as a NEMA 5-15 connector is introduced into the power input path, the pack must be downgraded to 1800W per three channels.
proxy.php

We are also considering buying the Elation Uni-Bar. This only has one channel, with dual outputs, but it is only $99, has support for 1,200 watts and had DMX In/Out. This would allow us to possibly reduce the number of extension cords running from lights to dimmers, to power distributors, etc.

Also, since we will be using a few 750 watt Altman 360Q's, and some 1,000 watt Par Can's and stage floods, I really need support for 1,200 watts on each channel.

The Uni-Paks could still be used on some of the lower power lights, where it would be more economical, but for most of the "main" Stage Lights, I'm thinking the Uni Bar might work better for us.

One caution- For some reason, a lot of the “10 amp” Elation dimmers (which one would think should be 1200 watts) only use 15 amp triacs. I have no idea why they do that. There is just not enough of a safety factor and they tend to pop. On the rack mount 12 channel dimmers, which they rate at 1200 watts, they use 40 amp triacs, and they work great. I have not had one of the Uni-bars apart so I do not know which road they took on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back