Control/Dimming ELATION DP-DMX-20L TROUBLESHOOTING

Hello all!
I'm currently struggling try to get my Elation dimmer pack where all four dimmers can be used. I don't think there's a problem with any of the dimmers or the 3 pin XLR I'm running from a board into the dimmer pack. I want to be able to control all four channels. I can only do two channels, (channels 1 & 3) as of right now. I know very little, except the basics, about lights and might just need a simple step by step because this is truly giving me a run for my money!
Thank you!! Much appreciated!

Run channel 1-4 to full. If you get 4 green lights on the leds listed as such then you have control if not then check the fuses should be one for each channel.

If they are still not lighting up check the mode and make sure it's set to ch1-4.

You can also YouTube DPDMX20L and get plenty of info on this dimmer.

Hello all!
I'm currently struggling try to get my Elation dimmer pack where all four dimmers can be used. I don't think there's a problem with any of the dimmers or the 3 pin XLR I'm running from a board into the dimmer pack. I want to be able to control all four channels. I can only do two channels, (channels 1 & 3) as of right now. I know very little, except the basics, about lights and might just need a simple step by step because this is truly giving me a run for my money!
Thank you!! Much appreciated!
@Grayson Merchant Please post a link to your dimmer pack's specific manual and I'll donate a little of my time.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I've tried having it on Ch1-4. It still bring up just two channels. There's a part of me too that feels like the way its playing with the board may have something to do with it. Not quite sure.

Hit menu.

IMG_2105.JPG

If it shows this then you need to press the arrow til it says 4

IMG_2104.JPG

Also it needs to be in the right mode of it says p# then it's not going to work with the dmx.
IMG_2106.JPG

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Put it into the "chase" mode and see if it blinks on all for channels. If not, then there is a problem with the pack. If chase works, then it may be a programing issue. The DMX address you program into the pack is the starting address, so if it's 004, then the pack runs Channels 4,5,6,7 etc. Be aware of this line from page 4 of the manual:
"You may also set your dimmer pack to functions as a 1, 2, or 4 channel DMX dimmer pack, which means you can combine the output functions."
Sure sounds like it can be in the wrong mode.

I'm betting Amiers and JD have nailed it:

This pack has multiple modes, and it's in a 2-channel mode, rather than the expected 4-channel one.

I'm betting Amiers and JD have nailed it:

This pack has multiple modes, and it's in a 2-channel mode, rather than the expected 4-channel one.

Hopefully he came to that conclusion since he didn't look back after 945. Took pictures for naught :/

I've tried having it on Ch1-4. It still bring up just two channels. There's a part of me too that feels like the way its playing with the board may have something to do with it. Not quite sure.

Do you know for sure if this is a 20A total load unitl. I purchased 2 with the 20A in mind. But the link to the manual in this thread on page 6 says 5A each total load 15A It was on page 6 of the manual ? Which is it ?

Power cord limits it as it has a 15 amp connector on the end.

Agreed. I would not exceed 5A per channel on any of the small dimmers (these, DP-415s or similar). I've even had a few go bad from running 600W DYS bulbs on them...granted they weren't new, but..

That being said, it's possible that the SCR could just be replaced if I had enough time and interest to tear into them.

Triacs are only 16 amp in that unit, so there is little overhead to handle the inrush. Here is a thread about changing to a 25 amp replacement. I think they are about $1.84 each.
https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/repairing-chauvet-dmx-4-dimmers.31328/#post-276835

Wow! I might have to rethink repairs at that price. I'm not afraid to dig into the packs, especially if the repair is simple (e.g. swapping out a triac) and parts are cheap. I just don't have time to get into a lot of detailed troubleshooting for a $100 device.

Wow! I might have to rethink repairs at that price. I'm not afraid to dig into the packs, especially if the repair is simple (e.g. swapping out a triac) and parts are cheap. I just don't have time to get into a lot of detailed troubleshooting for a $100 device.
If you are going to replace SCR or Traic with a higher no. to drew more power and load more ... you should take a close look at the Chocks inside the dimmer also or it will burn

If you are going to replace SCR or Traic with a higher no. to drew more power and load more ... you should take a close look at the Chocks inside the dimmer also or it will burn
This is not a problem as he is trying to avoid failure due to inrush current. Just don't change the fuses! They cheaped out a bit as I guess pennies matter. 25 amp would be the correct size for running a 600 watt load reliably. Most all the "shoe-box" dimmers use 16 amp triacs and that is why there is such a high failure rate. With solid state components, you want a factor of 5 above the run current if you intend for the unit to be around and working years from now. The old EDI dimmers used to use a 130 amp bridge for a 2.4kw load. (2x65 amp SCRs) Conversely, modern SSR's are rated at "run" current, so typically you will see a much lower rating for a given circuit.
Remember, triacs are usually rated at their failure point. Although they have a 1/2 cycle surge rating that is pretty high, inrush and lamp blowouts usually last more than a few cycles!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back