Elation ML Reviews?

icewolf08

CBMod
CB Mods
Hey all,

I have been blocked some money to buy two new MLs for my theatre. It isn't enough to get anything very high end. I am particularly interested in the Elation PowerSpot 700 with CMY option. I would love to see the new Design Spots, but they won't be out until it is too late. I was wondering if anyone has used these fixtures and could give some kind of review.

The other thing that I would love, is advice on how to convince the powers that be above me that this would be a better choice than buying Revolutions. They seem to think that because we often borrow the University of Utah's Revolutions we should get more of the same. Now, in my experience, and the experience of many others, the Revs are not so great, so I would appreciate any advice in the area.

The deal is I have $10k to spend (+/- a few hundred) and I need to get two fixtures.

Thanks.

I dont know where you are getting your prices but the powerspots usually run for about 8 grand a piece. I am not very fond of elation, all instruments Ive used from them have had shutter problems. I would look at the high end studio spots these are very good fixtures that can fit into yur budget

My dealer said they could do the PowerSpots for within a couple hundred of $10k for two.

While Elation quality is better than it was, I still wouldn't put it in a theatre. Too noisy and I don't think you'll like the color mixing.

As for Studiocolors, if you can find some 575s, get those. The 250 is a waste of fixture.

Recently, I was putting together a demo for a customer using the Martin Entour (which we used last time he did this show) and the 700 profile, which has an animation wheel (ideal for his use). The Entour was pretty bright compared to the 700. Not as bright, but considering the 700 is 3x the cost of the Entour, but that's not a concern for that customer.

For $10k, you could get four of the 250 series (washes and/or spots), have a really bright, fast light and not worry about having to install 208v if you don't already have it. The only thing is that it may be a little noisy if it moves fast.

You might also want to look at robe, they are competitively priced, and the gear is pretty top notch.

I've been seriously keeping up with elation's gear recently. There have been rumors that a guy from Martin left and went to Elation, and the PowerSpot 700 is the result of his new position in Elation. That's why it looks so different from the rest of them.

If you can get two of them for $10K including CMY modules, I'd go for it! It looks like a good piece of equipment. You should be able to get a demo from elation, make sure to do this before you purchase.

I've been seriously keeping up with elation's gear recently. There have been rumors that a guy from Martin left and went to Elation, and the PowerSpot 700 is the result of his new position in Elation. That's why it looks so different from the rest of them.
If you can get two of them for $10K including CMY modules, I'd go for it! It looks like a good piece of equipment. You should be able to get a demo from elation, make sure to do this before you purchase.

It's way more than a rumor. It was announced last month. Just google the name, Eric Loader.

So that's why Elation's finally getting things right!

Well, my local dealer carries both Elation and Robe products, so I hopefully can organize a shootout to pick fixtures. The biggest hurdle is going to be pitching the idea to my superiors in that I don't really want to get stuck with Revolutions.

So I would love to hear more opinions on both the Elation and Robe fixtures, and also if anyone has a good way for me to pitch them I would love it. Thanks.

Here's how you pitch them: Get the feature lists, and stack the fixtures up side by side. The Robe and Elation fixtures (w/CMY mixing, color wheel, gobo wheel, rotating gobo wheel, zoom, and other features) will knock the Revolution out of the competition. The revolution just doesn't have all that many features.

As a dealer for Elation as well as several other moving light manufactures. The 700 with CMY is easily doable within a $10,000 budget. Its about the only 700w that you could fit into that amount with 2 fixtures.

I did a shoot out a while back with a prototype 700 and a Mac 700. Unfortunately the Powerspot did not have CMY, but everything else was just as good. If you buy Powerspots, buy them with the double gobo, non CMY module, and then buy the CMY module seperate. Its the same price to buy with the standard module and purchase the CMY module separate. That way if you need 2 rotating gobo wheels and no CMY you can do that without added costs.

To convince them, arrange for a demo of a MAC 700 and a Powerspot side by side. Then show them the price of each.

Matt McCormick
www.cablepick.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back