Amishplumber

Any one have experience diagnosing flickering issues on Elation wash movers?

My client has some Elation Platinum Wash ZFX units in a permanent event space install. I do an annual maintenance sweep for them. Last year a couple of the units started to flicker when they get close to full on (R, G, B, W emitters all at or near full). If you take the edge off and lower some intensities, the problem goes away. I replaced the LED driver boards in both units and the problem went away.

Fast forward a year and the same two units are showing the exact same problem. All the symptoms seem the same and still point to the driver board IMO, but I just replaced those a year ago, so it seems the problem must be deeper. Units went from ~28000 hours to ~33000 hours in the last year (users often forget to kill the relays and they sit idle for months sometimes).

Only clue I have found so far is that the LED driver boards on the problem units are getting slightly less voltage than their fully functioning friends (~27.1v vs. ~27.5v). The bus is supposed to be 28v and power supplies in all units meter at a solid 28.1v. The only thing between the PSU and the LED driver board is the P/T motor board. So, one theory I'm entertaining is that the motor board is drawing too much power leaving the driver board underpowered and that the new ones were able to cope with the underpowering for a while.

I've definitely seen this exact same issue in several house rigs at various concert venues around the country, so I'm hoping perhaps someome on here has cracked the issue.
Thanks internet!

No personal experience with the lights, but that could be a heat problem.

Hello,
I would contact Elation service. They might have some insight for you.
[email protected]

I purchased (8) from a rental house that went out of business during "the vid"... They are part of my rep plot in my house now. I have 1 that is showing that issue. I have found if I keep the white down, no flicker. RGB full and no flicker. All full, flicker. Have not taken it down to bench test it. But curious if there is a common fix without replacing boards after boards...

Thanks

I purchased (8) from a rental house that went out of business during "the vid"... They are part of my rep plot in my house now. I have 1 that is showing that issue. I have found if I keep the white down, no flicker. RGB full and no flicker. All full, flicker. Have not taken it down to bench test it. But curious if there is a common fix without replacing boards after boards...

Thanks
Sorry for not looping back around. I talked to Elation tech support and got some solid answers. Its an issue they know about on older fixtures. Apparently as the LEDs age, their current draw starts slowly creeping up until they're drawing more than the wiring harness can handle. They have an updated wiring harness with thicker wire to solve the issue:

So, looks like a cheap part/ expensive labor fix since that wiring harness snakes its way all the way from the base, through the yoke to the head... I will be doing the repairs in January. Happy to report back here if people are interested on how it goes.

Sorry for not looping back around. I talked to Elation tech support and got some solid answers. Its an issue they know about on older fixtures. Apparently as the LEDs age, their current draw starts slowly creeping up until they're drawing more than the wiring harness can handle. They have an updated wiring harness with thicker wire to solve the issue:

So, looks like a cheap part/ expensive labor fix since that wiring harness snakes its way all the way from the base, through the yoke to the head... I will be doing the repairs in January. Happy to report back here if people are interested on how it goes.
@Amishplumber TIA. We're ALWAYS interested; count on it.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Well, that is some good news. I'll wait to hear how yours goes. I don't mind getting into these fixtures, except when I have parts/screws left over afterward :oops:.

Thanks

I did a repair of a similar fixture recently and we replaced the array to fix the issue, it was fairly inexpensive but good to know where the issue really lies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back