Elation PowerSpot 700 CMY Review

Bumping this thread up because I have some new info.

I just spoke with John Lopez at Elation with regards to lamps for the PS700. I had asked about equivalent lamps to the specified Phillips MSR 700 SA/DE. He told that the Osram HTI 700W/D4/75 was actually the first choice lamp for the fixture, but they chose to spec the Phillips lamp as the rest of their product line has phillips lamps spec'd. So using the Osram lamp is OK, and will not void your warranty.

I am bumping this thread up again because I have been asked to give an updated review of these fixtures, now that we have had them in use for a number of shows.

We rolled the PS700s out for the first time in last season's production of the regional theatre premier of Les Misérables. Lighting designer Karl Haas from ETC Architechtural enjoyed using them. IN that production, they ended up used mostly as moving specials and effects lights. Rotating gobos and animation wheel worked out great for a bunch of effects. They have a great punch and when needed could cut through almost any lighting on stage, and we were also able to blend them well when we needed to. The similar color temp. to our follow spots was also a big plus. They were bang on for all 81 performances of the show.

We opened with them in this season's production of Paint Your Wagon, lighting design by Phil Monat. Phil was thrilled with the fixtures, and used them throughout the show. Loved what he could get from the CMY and gobo effects. He was also quite impressed by the size, speed, and low noise of the fixture.

We hung the fixtures for Doubt, but even though lighting designer Michael Gilliam liked the fixtures, we didn't have a place for them in the show.

My overall experience with the fixtures is very positive. They are easy to maintain, though I felt really dumb when I realized there was an easier way to get the air filters out to clean them... They are easy to change gobos on. They are quiet, fast, small, and pack a big punch. I know we shot them out against the Mac 2k and it was a very close race, but I would love to see it against the Mac 700, because it wouldn't surprise me if the PS700 had more kick.

Learning that we have a choice in lamps made me quite happy. The fact that these fixtures are significantly lighter than the Revolutions that we also own is a big plus.

I would recommend this unit to anyone who is looking for a great ML on a tight budget. So far, I couldn't be happier with them, and I was quite wary about being in the first group of consumers to buy the fixture. I mean, they hadn't finished the manual when my units shipped, so they came without manuals (they emailed me a pre-release copy and now the final is available on their website). So, if you have the chance, schedule a demo, then you don't have to take my word for it.

When a demo PS700 came through the shop, we put it up against the Mac 700. The Mac's white seemed a little brighter. However, there were things we liked about the Mac and some we liked about the PS700. Bottom line was a PS700CMY goes for 7 grand, PS700 is 6 grand, and a Mac 700 is 10 grand. For the price, the PS was the way to go. Thanks for the update Alex.

Alex,
What are your thoughts on the sound activation mode? Does it perform like it should? How it the internal mic quality?

Alex,
What are your thoughts on the sound activation mode? Does it perform like it should? How it the internal mic quality?

It is a useless feature for theatre, and one fundamental software flaw at the moment (which I have talked to Elation about) is the fact that if fore any reason the fixture looses DMX it reverts to audio mode. This is not a good thing.

This is why, until the software is updated, I run the power to the fixture on a relay that I can cut from the console. I also always have a backup console running, so unless both go down, the show will go on.

It is a useless feature for theatre, and one fundamental software flaw at the moment (which I have talked to Elation about) is the fact that if fore any reason the fixture looses DMX it reverts to audio mode. This is not a good thing.

HA! that's hilarious! I love the idea of a whole stage going dark except for the movers which would start swinging around doing color and gobo scrolls.

Hey Alex, the Elation lights come default that way from the factory. You have to go into the menu and turn off audio mode for this not to happen. Go into the AUDI menu in the light/s. Then either ASLW or AFST will be on. Turn it off and they should do whatever the last DMX single sent told them to do. Thats how my PS575s worked after I turned off ASLW. Hope this helps.

I though I have tried that, but the next time I take them out of the road box i'll try again.

I'm wondering whether anyone has had the ability to compare the PS700CYM to the VL2500 or the Robe 700AT. These fixtures all seem to be in the same "class" and all have relatively the same feature set. While I am a VL guy at heart, I am getting tired of the ballast and lamp issues I seem to keep having with the VL2500s. I love the MAC700, but the lack of a good zoom range, weight, and speed just don't do it for me.

Any other thoughts about this group of 4?

I know this thread is fairly old but how well does it do against S4s with 750W lamps in them?

I know this thread is fairly old but how well does it do against S4s with 750W lamps in them?

Just like a follow spot, they will cut through like it's their job unless you are using a very saturate color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back