Elation Stage Setter-8 help

DougEgge

I volunteer to help with lighting at our church, and they have Stage Setter-8 board and 2 dimmer packs- Elation DP-415.
Curently they have the two dimmer packs daisey chained and the DIP switch for channel 1 "on" for both packs. Each pack is powering 4 PAR 38 fixtures, and one is stage left and the other stage right.

They are using the board in 2X8 mode and channel 1 slider will light up the 1st dimmer (so lights come on in channel 1 on both stage left and stage right), and channel 2 will light up the corresponding lights plugged into channel 2, etc. This is a "pop up" church and we are not in a permanent facility...yet. SO lights are on portable "trees".

What I would like is to be able to control each light individually so I can get more control and light more evenly.
I would also like to be able to set the two scenes (we rarely need more than 2 scenes during a service) and crossfade between them, rather than trying to adjust just the 4 channels at the same time (as the system is set, they have taped off the X and Y so that they cannot crossfade- probably to "dumb it down" so there are less mistakes)
SO, for instance, how do I get channel 1 to work just the 1st dimmer on stage right, and then another channel work the light that is pluged into the dimmer pack channel 1 on stage left? The board has 8 channels- (or sliders?) so should be able to assign each fixture, or can I not do that when they are daisey chained?

Thanks, in advance, for you r advice!!
SDE

I have no experience with your board so I can't help you with scenes, but separating your packs should be pretty easy - you need to address your house right pack at DMX 5. Right now they are both set to DMX 1. You will have to look up how to address your second pack to DMX 5 - it's not going to be turning the 5th switch on, but rather a binary combination - likely switch 3.

You should be able to download the manual for your board.

With regards to the Cross Faders being taped together, look at the Cross Fader numbering. The X cross fader is numbered from 0 to 10 (bottom to top), while the Y cross fader is numbered from 10 to 0 (bottom to top.) This allows you to do a smooth cross fade from the X row to the Y row by pulling both cross faders in the same direction. The tape was probably added to make this easier.
Note - this tape also prevents you from bringing the house to black using the cross faders, since you'll always be bringing up the other lights. You'll have to use the Master to bring all lights down.

Your house right pack can be addressed to start at DMX 5 by switching dip switches 1 and 3 up. The fixture plugged into what is labeled channel 1 on that dimmer will now respond to the channel 5 fader on your board. Fixtures plugged into channel 2 will respond to the channel 6 and so on. I don't know your board well but as others have said, check the manual out and you should have some answers. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TJ and Skervald- I think I will try changing the DIP switches on the 2nd dimmer pack in the daisey-chain as you suggested. I did download and read the manuals for the board and the dimmer pack, but neither addressed the specific question I had, or if they did, it was techno-jargon and I completely missed it! That is why I came to this forum- ask the people using the tech!!
Pawler- I agree with the reasoning for taping the X and Y crossfaders, but once I get the control for the 8 individual lights, I will re-train all the others who use the board on setting "scenes" and crossfade to make it look smoother. Also, the house lights are not controlled by the board, so that is another reason I feel that the crossfaders do not need to be taped.

THANKS to ALL!
SDE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back