Electrician asking "What is DMX"

macsound

Helping a nearby small church that inherited a building that was previously a rec center or something.
They have a couple of wall panels that control the houselights and they want to be able to control over DMX with their lighting console.
I told them the electrician knows how the weird nameless wall control system works and we need something that interfaces with DMX.

The electrician is now asking for a description of DMX and specifications on plugs.

My first instinct is to copy paste some technical crap and say 5pin XLR, but then I realize if he can't use google, maybe my copy paste will also go over his head. Also I don't really care if he soldiers an XLR on since he's probably never seen that type of connector and might charge this small church $50 for a "specialty connector" since he doesn't have it in his tool box.

What would you do?
Thanks

I would investigate the existing system and figure out where is best interface.

Do wall panels have to remain operational?

So many more questions.

If you have to leave to electrician, he'll have to bring in a theatre lighting rep or dealer to tell them what they need. Seems unlikely but not impossible that it's just DMX wiring but possible.

I think the church was hoping that the electrician would be doing the investigating and find an interface.
Its an Acuity controls nGWY wall panel. I was looking at the nGWY2 which includes DMX but not sure if that means the wall panel spits out DMX or can receive DMX control.
Acuity made a DMX interface but its discontinued it looks like.

Know what nLight protocol looks like? Super proprietary probably?

My rep for Acuity and ETC has told me nLight us one of the most difficult systems to interface to DMX. Talk to an Acuity rep. It won't be easy. I wonder if best will be calling up nLight presets rather than have direct control. I'll guess the thing that links them is at least $1000.

Thanks Rob for chiming in. Is the software that is used to configure the nGWY easy to use? That is - could a reasonably technical person create and revise presets as events and needs warrant? Or is it more of a set and forget because of the obtuse nature?
A hotel I worked in had a Grafik Eye system with a Windows XP machine dedicated to just updating the 4 wall panel presets depending on the event.
I'd be ok with that as a solution.

I'm barely in the industry anymore. spend most of my time as a recycling plant equipment operator, so judge as such. All DMX is is literally a communication protocol,

Hardware, wiring wise, your probably going to have to use 5-pin xlr and/or RJ-45 connectors, and either cat5e/6/7 wire

Were it my project, first I'd need to know id wall panels need to remain functional...

If so, your looking at retrofitting an architectural lighting system. Only system I've even been near is ETC's Unison system, but I have no experience actually working with it.

If not(or another idea I'll explain), I'd just connect the existing lights to DMX controlled dimmers(i.e. insert a DMX controlled dimmer pack in place of the existing control system.)

The other option is to do as above(DMX controlled dimmers) and set up a small/cheap DMX board as a wall panel, with a master/slave setup. Not quite sure how to do such but I know it can be done.

The problem is likely all lights with nLight drivers so not only replace wall controls, but all lighting. Maybe not but sounds like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back