Heckle

I recently acquired a large number of Electro Controls ellipsoidals. I've looked everywhere I can think to look, I've found similar lights but none the same. I was told these lights originally came from the Manti Pagent held by the LDS church. They are rather large the thing that makes them different is one there are two posts on the side of the light to connect the yoke to. They also have a round lens tube in the front that has. Aknob that drives it in and out, I would I imagine this is to focus. It has a step lens but no other lenses. I'm hoping somebody here can help me identify these lights or point me in the right direction. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Heckle

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they of the Parellipshere vintage?

proxy.php

proxy.php

No I do not believe they are. The lights I have have what looks like a huge oversized arc 4 lens tube coming out of the front of the rectangular body. It has the stepped lens that looks like a huge fresnel lens. And it has two places on each side where the yoke can be connected to.
Thanks,
Heckle

picture?

I will get a picture later this evening. The lights I have look like the 3365 from that catalogue, however they are different in that they have a round lens tube coming out of it. Which adjusts in and out via dial on the back of the unit. It is also much larger with an 18 inch step lens giver or take.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here are the pictures I've got quite a large inventory of them now. They look similar to the photos earlier except for the lens and the two brackets in the side.

ASBESTOS wiring! Be very careful with those. Just throwing them in the trash could land you in court.

Is that a fuse at the back? Is that a name plate of some kind at the front top? And something under the tape on the back?

Looks very similar to the 3366, perhaps a later model.

The thing that looks like a fuse is a knob that extends the lens in and out. These lights were used outside for the manti pagent. Both of those labels are unreadable now. I was wondering if these lights may have been custom made for the time. I will be researching local policies for disposing of the asbestos cords.
Thanks,
Heckle

... I was wondering if these lights may have been custom made for the time. ...
I think that's exactly what happened. In order to supply the venue, Electro Controls took an existing fixture (either a 3365-6" or 3386-8") and cobbled on a step lens to accommodate a longer throw. Being such a specialty item (even though Altman, Century, and Kliegl had extreme long-throw ERSs at the time), it never made it into any catalogs. The first year of the pageant was 1967, and these fixtures were very likely part of the original installation.

The two yoke positions is to change the center of gravity of the luminaire for balance; and interesting, yours seems to be in the wrong place. Are they all like this?

I have three kinds of lights. One of them is the strand brand. The other two are like this one with the round lens and one with it removed. I haven't examined the latter up close I don't know where the mounting positions are. They are the ones like in the catalog. They don't have the weird lens added in. I will have to look at them and see where their mounting brackets are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back