Electro-Voice

mbandgeek

Why does people like EV anymore? I think that they have good, reliable, inexpensive products. A lot of my school's EV technology has lasted about 15 years. Is there something that i am missing?

I happen to like a lot of EV gear. My university's theatre (which I have a job in) has a system of four EV DeltaMax cabs paired into arrays of two along with two McCauley dual 18'' subs.) When you flip one so that they're horn to horn they sound great for the space and have served well for a good chunk of time. We just got four EV cabs to use as stage monitors for dance shows and when time aligned correctly (right now I have the upstage pair set as zero time and the downstage pair and the mains delayed) we are getting great, quality coverage across the stage and the dancers love them because they produce a good thump due to the 15'' low-end drivers. I like EV, but we did just replace the proprietary EV crossovers for the DeltaMax's with a BSS Omnidrive so that we can get some more control over our processing than the old Ashly Protea and proprietary EV crossover processing gave us.

So, I don't know anyone who's said that they don't like EV and I'm definitely a fan of a lot of their gear. There are of course more expensive, better sounding options, but with EV you usually get a lot of bang for the buck.

E-V makes some great line-arrays and microphones, and their corporate group, Telex, is a great group of pro audio companies. I personally think that they are one of the companies that has been able to achieve everything from the lower-priced to very high-priced and do a good job at all of it. Others that would fall in to that category are Soundcraft, Shure, Yamaha, and Sennheiser.

Firstly I meant to say

"Why does people not like EV anymore" you seemed to understand what i was saying anyway.

Just in one of the Sound polls that i posted on wireless mics, more people voted on a company other than Electro-Voice.

EV was never big on wireless gear. So really no one ever liked EV's wireless gear to begin with.

That being said, they have some great wired mics and speakers.

EV makes good sounding wireless mics. I've never heard a wireless shure Mic, but it can't be that much better, can it?

It's easy to make a "good sounding" mic. Making one that is durbale, and reliable is the bigger challenge.

But it really sounds great with an almost totally Ev system(all except board) My school has all EV stuff and it all sounds really good together.

AVGuyAndy said:
It's easy to make a "good sounding" mic. Making one that is durbale, and reliable is the bigger challenge.

Can you say, dropped, Thrown across the room, stepped on?
Yes our mic has been through all of this and nothing more that a scratch.

And it always works, along with sounding really good.

AVGuyAndy said:
You compltetely missed the point of my post.

No it was that Your post wasn't on there when i posted mine.

i don't know what it was but it wasn't there when i posted, but i answered your question after that so who cares.

back to the point, if you haven't heard a shure wireless microphone, you shouldn't be proclaiming EV's excellence. Shure is far more widely used and for good reason. Along with them are companies like Lectrosonics and Sennheiser. Also, what makes a wireless system sound good has a lot to do with the microphone element. EV doesn't come close to touching companies like DPA, Countryman and Sennheiser on that front.

I totally understand you're discovering these companies (Like everyone, I've been there), but I cautiously suggest asking more questions like: "What do people reccomend in terms of wireless?" Given this is a forum, it's way more open ended, but if I had someone working for me on a job I wouldn't like to be told by them how much they know, especially if they had limited experience. Believe me, this is common and those people don't last long.

EV has decent stuff, but if you use anything better there isn't much of a comparison. Even on a budget I wouldn't use most EV equipment. It's really a matter of experience. EV sounds great until something better comes along. A good place to hear that sort of stuff are pro shops/rental companies and especally professional productions and concerts.

However, I don't think it's right to stress the greatness of one company over another. As I said in that poll you posted, to each his own. I would never use one company exclusively. We should also recognize the importance of the operator of that equipment. There are many talented people who would prefer another brand, but be able to do great stuff with Electro-Voice equipment.

Well to attempt to follow up on your post, I am happy with the quality of sound that EV has. If there is something that i don't like, then i would start looking into other companies, like shure or yamaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back