Electronic Prompt Book

So I'm stage managing a simple school show and I talked it over with the Stage Management teacher and i got her go ahead to try an electronic prompt book. I was wondering what the easiest way to insert cues into the document would be?

It just depends what you are using I guess. In word, you can add comments. In multiple colors I believe. Then you could also move where they were. Maybe use different colors for Lights, Sound, or calling actors.

It just depends what you are using I guess. In word, you can add comments. In multiple colors I believe. Then you could also move where they were. Maybe use different colors for Lights, Sound, or calling actors.

There also different script programs out there to use. I know of Celtix, which is used for writing and formating shows. In terms of show use, there is still nothing more reliable than pencil and paper. If you are using a computer device, does the time taken to type up the script and format it, really outway the convinence? Does the device have the reliability in terms of hardware to be rock solid for the show? Does this device need to be portable? Is there power avaliable in the rehearsal hall and SM booth? Is this a personal device or school device? Do you need to be able to see in a blackout, because a screen may well ruin any nightvision you need to see movement on stage?

Just some suggestions and questions to ask...

There also different script programs out there to use. I know of Celtix, which is used for writing and formating shows. In terms of show use, there is still nothing more reliable than pencil and paper. If you are using a computer device, does the time taken to type up the script and format it, really outway the convinence? Does the device have the reliability in terms of hardware to be rock solid for the show? Does this device need to be portable? Is there power avaliable in the rehearsal hall and SM booth? Is this a personal device or school device? Do you need to be able to see in a blackout, because a screen may well ruin any nightvision you need to see movement on stage?

Just some suggestions and questions to ask...

I should rephrase the question, i'm using the computer to input the cues into the script and then i'm printing it out. Also, it is a variety jukebox show, so all the lyrics for the songs are available online.

What program are you trying to add the cues with? I would say layout the cues in a way that works best for your needs. Color coding is a stage managers best friend and can help avoid a lot of problems when calling.

I should rephrase the question, i'm using the computer to input the cues into the script and then i'm printing it out. Also, it is a variety jukebox show, so all the lyrics for the songs are available online.

I did this once, and never ever ever did it again - it just got stupid when I had to move cues - I must have printed the entire script three or four times by the end of tech week. You will never get me away from pencil, ruler and eraser - I don't even colour code my cues because you can't rub them out and shift them...

I did this once, and never ever ever did it again - it just got stupid when I had to move cues - I must have printed the entire script three or four times by the end of tech week. You will never get me away from pencil, ruler and eraser - I don't even colour code my cues because you can't rub them out and shift them...

That's why I don't color code until after final dress. I feel color coding helps when calling, especially if youre board op too.

I've always enjoyed those little flag type sticky notes. Color Coded and easy to move. Then, after final dress and depending on the length of the run, I'll either leave them as the sticky notes or transfer as pen and highlighter.

I wouldn't dare trust a computer (even my precious mac who only occasionally fails when photoshop, itunes, dreamweaver, are running and i decide to try to render a 3D video in vworks at the same time) during performance, but I do like the neatness of a printed-in-color prompt-book, without the danger of losing stickers, once the show is in performance.

Sometime before tech week I will have an ASM scan the entire script and create a pdf. I then run the text recognition feature in Adobe Acrobat Pro so that I can easily highlight specific sections of text. You can add cues with text boxes, color-coded, which is easily done gradually throughout tech. Save often, print when finished.

Why did you decide you wanted to do an electrtonic prompt book, is there an advantage I'm not seeing? To me, the only way to mark a script is handwritten notes. I like the idea of stickies with the cue on it, easy to see, easy to move or renumber. Sometimes we don't need technology.

Whenever I do I show where I can not keep the script after the show, I will scan the entire thing, inlarge it to a full size sheet, print it out whole punch it and stick it in a binder. And during rehersal I will write notes in red pen (I should be using pencil, but I hate using pencil :p) and before show day, go back to the scanned script on the computer and add in all final notes and reprint.

Works for me :)

Also, if I can keep the script and it is a good size (Sometimes our lower end shows have really..bad scripts, where all the text is squashed together and messy) and nice layout I will just force myself to write in pencil. (Fine tipped mechanical :p) Because I like having original scripts for my collection.

Why did you decide you wanted to do an electrtonic prompt book, is there an advantage I'm not seeing? To me, the only way to mark a script is handwritten notes. I like the idea of stickies with the cue on it, easy to see, easy to move or renumber. Sometimes we don't need technology.

I do not know if there are any advantages. Which is why i want to attempt it. I have worked with people who have done shows where the cues where entered through a computer. Its something i want to do for a test trial.

I do not know if there are any advantages. Which is why i want to attempt it. I have worked with people who have done shows where the cues where entered through a computer. Its something i want to do for a test trial.

I had a SM on a summerstock show last summer who did this for the two shows she SMed, which each ran only 2-3 weeks or about 18-22 performances. With the super-compressed schedule of a summerstock tech and run, she went through hell trying to format her book and make everything pretty, and she ended up with so many crossouts and changes and modifications that she just scrapped the whole idea after opening and copied everything in pen. On the other hand, I know of quite a few SMs on large Broadway shows who use computer-generated scripts to call from every night. It ensures that there's always an infinite number of backup copies available, there's no danger of markings fading or falling out over time, you can easily run off a new copy for a new member of the SM team, and all the different people who call the show have an easy-to-read script that's not done in someone else's handwriting. Either way works, it just depends on your schedule and how much time you can put into it.

I have to agree with most of the people above. There is usually no legal or easy way to get a digital copy of the script. Scanning scripts is lame. Second its just too much work once you do have a copy of the script. Give me a pencil and a package of color coded dot stickers from the office supply store and I'm good to go.

Anyone think there will be a day where publishers would offer scripts on a non-copyable flash drive for this purpose?

Anyone think there will be a day where publishers would offer scripts on a non-copyable flash drive for this purpose?

Possibly, but is it possible to make something like that, if it is text, can't you just Copy and Paste into Word or Pages. And if it was pictures, it would be a MASSIVE file.

Possibly, but is it possible to make something like that, if it is text, can't you just Copy and Paste into Word or Pages. And if it was pictures, it would be a MASSIVE file.

The question isn't whether they could make it easier to do, but whether they would make it legal. Technically, copying your scripts or scanning them into an electronic format is illegal - now, that usually doesn't stop almost every group from doing it. There's only so much you can do with those pre-bound script books that have no margin space and you can only mark in pencil. Interestingly, I have heard a few isolated cases of publishers giving one-time permission to a production to have a digital copy of the script for the SM's personal use, on the condition that this was destroyed at the end of the run. With the increasing popularity of iPads and similar, I would not be at all surprised if digital scripts (possibly that required some sort of a dongle, to protect from illegal copying) started becoming available.

We just need MTI to make an iPad app that would have the scripts if you had the right code, then just go away when you are done. If they add the ability to make notes in that app, it would be pretty nice. Even if they did limit printing, the SM or who ever could make their own notes.

rochem, I know it's illegal, but I'm still going to end up doing it :).

I think the only possible advantage would be that destroying it would be hard to do, and the notes would be easy to read always.

I would just use word and insert comments where you want them, then print it with the comments.

I would just use word and insert comments where you want them, then print it with the comments.

And, if you were to have multiple people working on the same file, comments are different colors so you could have the LD making light cues in one color, sound making cues in another, and scene changes by another person in another color!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back