Element 2 iRFR Help

Massey28694

Hey guys, I'm back! Just purchased our new Element 2-6000 and we are doing a self-install (dealer is 3 hours away!). So far, so good, but we cannot get the iRFR to work.

We have downloaded the RFR Classic on iPads. Pretty simple setup there, put in the IP and password as shown on the console, but cannot connect. Our setup is internet service going to a TP-Link mesh network, ethernet from the TPLink to a Linksys E4200 router (we plan to make this router private for lighting only). From the router, we are hardwired from a lan port to lan port 1 on the console.

Console shows "connected". I have gone over the instructions a dozen times and believe I have everything on the board set correctly. When we try to connect the iRFR, no connection is found. I have a laptop hardwired to the Linksys router and have done a hard reset on the router, so it's at defaults.

IF I move the network cable from console port 1 to port 2 (the internal ip side), I CAN ping that IP address! But when I put it back on port 1, the console shows "online", but I cannot connect or ping.

Likely doing something very simply wrong, but cannot figure this one out! Any help you can give is appreciated!!

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to get acquainted with wonderful folks at tech support. https://www.etcconnect.com/Support/Contact-Us.aspx

Seriously though, it's free just because you happen to be sitting in front of something they made. Give them a call and they'll be able to talk you through all the hoops, hurdles, and settings to get things talking (much faster than waiting for Q&A from us on a forum!). They are some of the friendliest folks you'll ever talk to on the phone.

Also, if you have internet on the same network as your console... you should think really hard about why you want to do that. At the very least setup some firewall rules so that your lighting gear cannot talk to the internet in any way, shape, or form.

Going to give it another shot this morning and will call tech support if I can’t get it. My plan is to have this Linksys router unplugged from the internet, making it our own onsite private network. Just wanted to have the option to hook it up to the internet should tech support ever need to remote into the system (not even sure they do that though, so may just nix that thought!). Thanks for the assistance.

On another topic, I cannot get the touchscreen monitors to respond to touch. Have followed instructions to the letter. Using Dell 24” touchscreens recommended and supplied by my ETC dealer. Any thoughts? Otherwise I guess I’ll put that to tech support as well. Thanks!

I only have them connected with the DP(?) cable, as I saw no mention of using a usb as well. Will give that a shot as soon as I get there! Thank you!

Just wanted to have the option to hook it up to the internet should tech support ever need to remote into the system (not even sure they do that though, so may just nix that thought!). !

They don't and will recommend the lighting network be a stand-alone system, not connected to anything. I would actually set it up this way and try the iRFR connection again. If no-go, then call ETC.

Make sure the Element DHCP server is disabled if the TP-Link router is a DHCP server. Keep in mind that Port 1 and Port 2 have different IP ranges. One port is a 192.168.x.x/16 range and the other is a 10.101.x.x/16 range. If your Router is giving out IP addresses in the wrong range the iPad won't connect.

Otherwise make sure that iRFR is enabled in the Settings menu.

I would strongly recommend removing internet access from your network. The console has no facilities for remote access, nor does it have any antivirus or antimalware software. We never give lighting networks internet access.

I'm doing this from memory, but give this a shot:

Disconnect router from internet entirely.

Is the WiFi remote checkbox enabled in your console setup? (RFR settings, visible to remote)

Network cable:
On console plug into 2nd network port
On Router plug into WAN (not LAN) port

On console set to be DHCP address server
On Router, set to be client (turn DHCP server off on the WAN side). (Wireless side DHCP server stays on)

On iOS device, connect to your router. (Should aquire an IP address from the router). Open app. Connect to console.

Note: there are a couple different ways to handle the IP addresses/DHCP. This is just one method.

Note: if you're connecting directly to the console without a switch inline, some routers don't like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back