Elevator Doors

qctd

I'm working on designing a the set for H2$ (How to Succeed). My design request from the director is to have as much open floor space as possible. For the couple of elevator scenes I will have one single elevator on stage that moves on a wagon. The director has requested for the elevator to rotate around so that during one of the number you can see the inside of the elevator. I'm having a hard time figuring out our to operate the doors without having a crew member built into the unit to operate the doors. I've considered a motor to operate the doors, but would prefer it to move as quickly as real elevator doors. I think the easiest way to have the doors move is both or one door move as opposed to 2 doors moving opposite directions. I hope I've given enough back ground to get some ideas stirring.

--Chris

Last edited:
Would an accordian type grating door work ? I can't think of what to call them.... you know they are just flat bar that expand as you pull them across the doorway.
Doing regular elevator doors is pretty simple with a figure 8 cahin in the header above the opening. the reall issue being the width needed on the wagon for when they are open.

If you search CB
Scenery, Props, and Rigging
Thoroughly Modern Millie, elevator simulation Kiwitechgirl posted:

If your elevator doors aren't too heavy, a domestic string-operated curtain track works fine - we did this on a production of How to Succeed and built the whole thing into a flat which then flew. The domestic tracks generally come already strung, so all you have to do is figure out how to attach the doors to the hooks. Lightweight doors are the key though!

I would think the pull could be hidden inside the elevator as a knob that would slide the door closed from the inside. If the door was set up as Van suggested and a counter weight enough to pull the door open. When you push the outside call button it releases the weight, door opens. after they step inside they reach over to hit the inside button, but instead they slide the knob (Red e-stop look) to the right which actually closes the door and re-sets the weight. Attach the Knob to the edge of the door that is inside the pocket with a slot. If the opening is 4' then each half is 2' therefore the slide moves 2'.

Set_How to Succeed.jpg

We did How to Succeed last year and I had the very same issue. What I ended up doing was using a 6'x10' wagon with the walls on each short side and the door opening on one long side. For the door mechanism itself, we used a single piece of track that was hidden inside the wall from which we hung two doors and it operated the same way a bi-parting curtain did. We did have an actor inside the elevator, but you never saw them when the doors faced the audience. It spun very easily with just 1 crew member on each corner. With a couple of guide wheels and enough practice (and a little WD-40), the doors opened smoothly and quickly. If you want more details, just PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back