Design Emulation and Wysiwyg

Hello,

Just wondering if you can use Emulation and Wysiwyg to Precue/Previz etc... I know emulation is pretty new, and I don't know if I can do something like that.

Thanks,

-Patrick

I'm not sure we've ever discussed EmuLATION here before (I had to search to find what it was). You might need to ask/research this question at the Elation Lighting forums.

That being said, if EmuLation can spit out DMX512 (or other supported DMX-over-Ethernet scheme), WYSIWYG can read it.
From http://www.elationlighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?Category=&ItemNumber=1656 :
Once the hardware interface is plugged in your computer the DMX data is duplicated over Art-Net. This is also useful for connecting to 3rd party visualizers.

(Unsolicited advice: If you're not fully dedicated to EmuLation, most around here recommend ChamSys MagicQ as the leader in the PC-as-Lighting-Console genre.)

Last edited:
I'm not sure we've ever discussed EmuLATION here before (I had to search to find what it was). You might need to ask/research this question at the Elation Lighting forums.

That being said, if EmuLation can spit out DMX512 (or other supported DMX-over-Ethernet scheme), WYSIWYG can read it.

(Unsolicited advice: If you're not fully dedicated to EmuLation, most around here recommend ChamSys MagicQ as the leader in the PC-as-Lighting-Console genre.)

Going to check out the ones you suggested!

Hey,

Emulation is a cool new software option out there, and does pit out DMX512. I will contact Elation, and see what they say, as I don't think I have seen anything about it in there forums. They mainly seem to be full of troubleshooting, updates etc... because they just came out with it a little over a year ago. It is a pretty cool software, and I will look into those other ones as well. I am always looking for ways to be innovative, and interface into older lighting systems etc... and this PC based stuff is really helping with that. I have never used it, but I guess you can do remote DMX addressing on your Iphone, which is pretty cool. It is great for using high end LED lighting, as it has most of the gel companies swatch books, where you can click on the number and color and it will mix the LED lighting together for you.

Seems to save a lot of time so far... The only thing that sucks, is new software comes with bugs, and you are going to be updating fixes a lot at first...

Last edited:
Emulation is a cool new software option out there, and does pit out DMX512. I will contact Elation, and see what they say, as I don't think I have seen anything about it in there forums. They mainly seem to be full of troubleshooting, updates etc... because they just came out with it a little over a year ago. It is a pretty cool software, and I will look into those other ones as well. I am always looking for ways to be innovative, and interface into older lighting systems etc... and this PC based stuff is really helping with that. I have never used it, but I guess you can do remote DMX addressing on your Iphone, which is pretty cool. It is great for using high end LED lighting, as it has most of the gel companies swatch books, where you can click on the number and color and it will mix the LED lighting together for you.

I'm not going to try and disuade your from using Emulation since I have never used it and it may be awesome but I will say that those features you listed, especially the gel database, are pretty common and certainly present in MagicQ.

I'm not going to try and disuade your from using Emulation since I have never used it and it may be awesome but I will say that those features you listed, especially the gel database, are pretty common and certainly present in MagicQ.

Nice,

I am for sure going to look into that software. Emulation is nice, but it would be nice to try some software that has been out for a while, and perhaps well known enough to ensure Wysiwyg may work with it.

Thanks for the info!

PC based control vs. Convential board

This is my first post so if this was covered else where sorry for the inconvenience. I am seriously considering running Elation's 'emulation' software instead of my current
Leprechuan 624. I need more dimmers (24 doesn't cut it anymore), and I really like the iPod/iPad connectivity. Any thoughts? Pros/Cons? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back