End of the 80's Modern lights.

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Work just recycled all of it’s DHA light curtains, Diversitronics 3000 strobes, RSC based Altman and Colortran 6-Cell Cycs, Altman Mini-Cyc’s and much of other gear that has not been used for a few years.
PAR 36 long snout cans got their reprieve by luck - a show popped up this month requesting all of them and a few more. Last time they were used was 1987. I managed to save some Juno Wash lights, the Inkies and the R&V beam projectors. Found room in my department to also store as many of the "Kid Rock" marquee light bars as I could - never want to try to build them again, they are perfect in fixture design and someday they are going to be needed. I put a lot of work into the design of this light as with others I try to save examples of. DHA light curtains in a dumpster with snow on them... a sin, but I don’t have room to store even an example fixture as a rule for what I collect.
Gave away as many of the cyc lights as I could once I got notice of the "cleaning house." Could have given away more with time. Wasn’t given a gear list of what was going out the door or the plan - this even though it might be nice given I stock the spare lamps and it might be nice to know what lamps are no longer in use.... Might have been cost effective - nice tax donation letter from a local 501c3 opera house donation that work can use.

Last edited:
Work just recycled all of it’s DHA light curtains, Diversitronics 3000 strobes, RSC based Altman and Colortran 6-Cell Cycs, Altman Mini-Cyc’s and much of other gear that has not been used for a few years.
PAR 36 long snout cans got their reprieve by luck - a show popped up this month requesting all of them and a few more. Last time they were used was 1987. I managed to save some Juno Wash lights, the Inkies and the R&V beam projectors. Found room in my department to also store as many of the "Kid Rock" marquee light bars as I could - never want to try to build them again, they are perfect in fixture design and someday they are going to be needed. I put a lot of work into the design of this light as with others I try to save examples of. DHA light curtains in a dumpster with snow on them... a sin, but I don’t have room to store even an example fixture as a rule for what I collect.
Gave away as many of the cyc lights as I could once I got notice of the "cleaning house." Could have given away more with time. Wasn’t given a gear list of what was going out the door or the plan - this even though it might be nice given I stock the spare lamps and it might be nice to know what lamps are no longer in use.... Might have been cost effective - nice tax donation letter from a local 501c3 opera house donation that work can use. Hear the Martin Atomic Strobes are also going out of style soon - doubt it this year.
Still I’m kind of somber in not having a larger museum to collect cyc type light examples or as a rule moving or other types of light (a few moving light types also got trashed.) Think I’ll ask to pluck out of the trash one of the Diversitronics strobes though - I spent years upgrading and fixing them, even if I never use it, kind of attached to that fixture. DHA Light Curtain... was in college and saw the pamphlets on it, amazing was the concept. Never got to use one but believe not really possible to re-produce it’s advertised effect I always wanted to see and have the option to use. A shame this paint brush is gone from the inventory even if problematic and as a rule if one lamp went you replaced all of them. General Manager at times wants his moving light museum to match my conventional museum - buy those lights we tossed out years ago. Same person not saving any examples during the current purge.
So many storage buildings.. Can’t save an single example of each light trashed somewhere? Working on that but have to be subtle otherwise I won’t hear of future gear gone.
Has it really been five years since we had to buy a bunch more DHA light curtains for a tour? Or the beam projectors, we had to buy lots of them of like 10 years ago because they were "Retro" and in style. (The 1975 Altman #660 beam projectors from the Bob Segar tour had long since been disposed of - some still exist and were used later.) I remember like 15 years ago when the S-4 PAR came out in 750 Watt... sold off all our PAR 64 rock and roll cans for $25.00 each with lamp and clamp. Than a few months later a tour specifically wanted the rock and roll can.... had to buy tons more and even more over the years.
Somber - yes that’s the feeling, about the house cleaning but need the space also even with lots of storage buildings worth of space. Going to push for an example of what isn’t gone yet to save an example of each but out of my hands. A shame back to "My Kindom for another Leko!" while working in store front theater. But I’m older and less in fight given a corporate experience. Most of the deleted from inventory conventional parts are stored at home.
Speaking of the "Inkie’s" 3" Fresnel - Altman #100, I figured out how to make them into a MR-16 LED based fixture and mounted my prototype to SmartTrac with its’ own challenge in doing so. Also figured how to cut down the snout of the barn door to half it’s length and made it into a four leaf so it will prop light better. (Six leaf barn door is just as easy, just takes a little more time.) Hate the Smart Trac system - their track mounting heads are all plastic and use a mixture of fastener screw types dependant on lot number. Had to seriously modify a few track fixture mounting heads so as to mount Q-Lite Jr’s. and other more heavy fixtures I don’t trust the plastic 1/8" IP yoke mounting threading to. While playing around with track mount fixture heads, I also installed a Edison receptacle to one... worked out well once plastic fittings were replaced with brass fixture mounting fittings, longer screws were used and the frame was epoxied. Always busy with stuff.
You're making me cry Brian. Please don't make me cry.
(DHA light curtains! Boo hoo; sniffle, sniffle. Wah!!)
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Inkies have been put away for storage other than the one used as the MR-16 LED lamp based prototype - been many many years of protecting them from as it were - others that would wish to have them but not buy them. Really only a half road case of them - 1/2 of them out of the case already. No after some confusion of what was going away and I will have already found a home for, the remaining inkie's are specifically above and below in management to be saved and stored by me.

Other stuff like a Diversitronics 3000 strobe light... I asked for one, (given how much work I have put into them over the years), and I find out the recycling container already left. The whole demise of the Altman 360Q series was handled much better in just about all even parts at this point having a home.

Ron- not sure if wanting to make cry or if you have used them in if one lamp went out, all soon would including the lamp you just replaced if they worked at all. I am sorry to see them go but not really dumpster diving to save one. Probably gone by now and so soon will be a shelve full of replacement lamps both very narrow and medium focus I acquired or stocked. Again a shame as with the various 1.2Kw and 600w PAR 64 lamps that will probably never get used again. Worth less than shipping to Don's Bulbs as with other moving light lamps - obsolete.

A shame and disposal not well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back