enjoyable historical fiction: Fools and Mortals by Bernard Cornwell

willschaff

Newbie here.

Sharing my love of the historical fiction of the great Bernard Cornwell (Richard Sharpe novels among others). His newest book purports to be an account by William Shakespeare's younger brother of exploits in London at that time. They are "players", as are we all. The final chapters, in which A Midsummer's Night Dream is premiered, took my stage hand's breath away. Maybe you will enjoy it as well.

best,

Newbie here.

Sharing my love of the historical fiction of the great Bernard Cornwell (Richard Sharpe novels among others). His newest book purports to be an account by William Shakespeare's younger brother of exploits in London at that time. They are "players", as are we all. The final chapters, in which A Midsummer's Night Dream is premiered, took my stage hand's breath away. Maybe you will enjoy it as well.

best,

POSSIBLE SPOILERS: Didn't care for Cornwell's characterization of the Bard. (And I'm a HUGE fan of Sharpe's Rifles, so there you are.) And, he stretched a lot of history into unlikely ways. I just wonder whether Cornwell is an amateur thespian.

Still, any book by Cornwell is a better read than most books by a lot of others.

I just finished reading "Shakespeare and the Countess" by Chris Laoutaris, about the fight for control of the Blackfriars complex, which informs the period and the activities outlined in the Cornwell book. Very dense reading, but reams of historical background.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back