Control/Dimming ENR96 WIRING HELP

I PURCHASED THIS ENR96 DIMMER WITH 48 MODULES, IT IS REALLY JUST ONE HALF OF THE 96 RACK, ANYWAY, I AM TRYING TO HOOK UP LIGHTING WIRES AND USE THIS SYSTEM. MYSELF AND MY ELECTRICIAN ARE REALLY OVERWHELMED, BY ALL OF THE CONNECTIONS INSIDE THIS BOX.

WHAT WAS HERE ORIGINALLY WAS 2 ENR 24 RACKS.

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A WIRING DIAGRAM OF WHERE THE LIGHTING WIRES, AS WELL AS THE DMX CABLE, AND LIGHTING DIMMERS AT THE ENTRANCE OF THE THEATER HOOK UP.

I AM SURE IT IS SIMPLE ONCE YOU GET STARTED, BUT HELP ME GET STARTED, I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM AND WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP.

IT LOOKS LIKE YOU RAN INTO THE SAME PROBLEM I HAD: THE IRREVERSIBLE CAPS LOCK KEY. I JUST CAN'T MAKE IT TURN OFF! I'VE BEEN TOLD THE ONLY WAY TO FIX IT IS TO DELETE MY SYSTEM32 FOLDER AND THEN TYPE FDISK C: INTO A COMMAND PROMPT, BUT I HAVEN'T TRIED IT YET.

REALLY THOUGH, WELCOME TO THE FORUM, AND IF YOU NEED HELP TURNING OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK JUST SEND ME A PM.

:twisted:

yes, I have that publication. It really does not go into detail, or where I can read it, they need one for "dummies.

Where does the dmx cable go to?

I have read it stated that it was 3 racks in one is this right?

the wires coming in from the stage lights I assume they go to the connection closest to the outside, with the neutral going to the neutral board.

I have entrance lights when you go into the auditorium, do these hook directly with the house lights?as you can see, I have so many questions. Please help.

yes, I have that publication. It really does not go into detail, or where I can read it, they need one for "dummies.

Where does the dmx cable go to?

I have read it stated that it was 3 racks in one is this right?

the wires coming in from the stage lights I assume they go to the connection closest to the outside, with the neutral going to the neutral board.

I have entrance lights when you go into the auditorium, do these hook directly with the house lights?as you can see, I have so many questions. Please help.

I am usually all for figuring it out on your own.

However--with all due respect--the questions you are asking suggest that you need to seek expert help in getting this dimmer rack installed safely in your facility. This is beyond the scope of forum advice.

I hope my colleagues here will agree and not attempt a "do it yourself" advice thread.

ST

I do understand what you are saying, I do have a certfiied electrician. I live in a very rural area with no major cities close therefore, here no one ever know what a dimmer switch does.

I do understand what you are saying, I do have a certfiied electrician. I live in a very rural area with no major cities close therefore, here no one ever know what a dimmer switch does.

what does this mean: ?
"the wires coming in from the stage lights I assume they go to the connection closest to the outside, with the neutral going to the neutral board."

you really need to bring in someone who understands how dimmers are wired. Its actually pretty self explanatory, if your electrician cant figure it out from spending 10 min looking at it I think a different electrician may be in order.

what does this mean: ?
"the wires coming in from the stage lights I assume they go to the connection closest to the outside, with the neutral going to the neutral board."

you really need to bring in someone who understands how dimmers are wired. Its actually pretty self explanatory, if your electrician cant figure it out from spending 10 min looking at it I think a different electrician may be in order.

I would suggest calling Leviton and asking for assistance. The worst you could do is get put on hold forever. Perhaps they could also recommend someone nearby who can give you some guidance or a system that you could go look at.

I have to agree that the mannual seems to give the info you need, but I have learned by working with factory trained technicians. Try calling the persons you got the rack from. They may help as well.

enr 96 wiring info needed.

I am working my way through the installation of the enr 96. I have come across a few questioons. I have an electrician helping me through this, but his only knowledge is electrical hookups and circuits. I am in a rural area and no one in a 300 mile radius even know what eht enr 96 system is., there for I was hoping i could get some help from other users of this rack.

1. I have 5 entry points to this auditorium, each has a dimmer control or a switch to push to turn the lights on without haveing to go to the console. My question I am having is where do these wires hook up? on which line do they belong? tb1, tb2, tb3, or tb4, or other?

2. I have 2 different sets of house lights, the regular lighting in the auditorium, and it also has 25 recessed lights that are controlled also. do they wire into the same location.

I know you are all hesitant about giving advice on this forum to someone you feel does not know what is going on, but beleive me, I do know electronics, but just want to make sure everything is correctly installed. My electrician is working with me and in complete control, but know little about this system.

any help would be great. I have the installation guide, but it does not go into details as for what i need.

Re: enr 96 wiring info needed.

With all due respect....

Your questions are troubling. If you and your electrician aren't sure how to do this you _must_ get someone there on-site that can advise you. Not only are people going to be hesitant giving advice about things because your questions are decidedly unclear, but if you're asking these types of questions I can almost promise that things will not be correctly installed.

i would loved to have someone come by and do it, but in a small town with not much going on and noone even knows what this system does, how can i do any better,. you seem to think that i can just pick up the phone and get someone over here to check it out, wrong. I am 92 miles from Omaha, no one has anything that old, or wants to even venture out to check on it, i have tried to pay someone to come here but they said it was no worth their time or mine since they know nothing about it.

thanks for being so blunt when you do not know how it is. maybe I need to get to another site, that people are not so closed minded, this is the first forum that i have ever been on that no one want to stick their neck out or even give some soothing advice. what is this site for? to brag on what new systems they have in their venues. I am sorry I cannot afford a new one. sorry for even asking.

I don't think you are being fair to the guys here. Derick gave you the manual that answers all your questions. It tells how the buses are wired, where the houselight control wiring goes, the whole nine yards. I have never used that dimmer rack but your electrician should be able to look at it and wire it right up. If he is unable to do so then you need a commercial electrician that has wire three phase panels, which is what it is, and knows control wiring. We can't give you more without laying eyes on it.

We can't give you more without laying eyes on it.

And this is why everyone here is unwilling to help any further. We would all love to see you get your system up and running, and we would love to be a part of it. But the fact is that dimmer racks are not one size fits all. There are certain site-specific conditions that need to be accounted for before anyone can say "ok, so this is what you do". Attempting to do so blind through the internet is pretty risky, and I don't think anyone here wants to be held partly accountable for a tragic accident stemming from their advice that could have been avoided had only they seen it in person. Note that ETC requires an ETC certified technician to power up installed systems. This is pretty serious stuff with tons of variables.

I can guarantee that in a city the size of Omaha, there is someone you can hire to come assist with this project. 92 miles isn't that far, but you'll have to pay for travel time, a minimum number of work hours, and maybe room and board. There are also companies who specialize in maintaining obsolete dimmer systems, and they travel nationwide if the job pays.

If you have already removed the old system, it could make it harder for an expert from reverse engineer it. That could make the situation more difficult. Do you have blueprints from the original installation? Do you know who did it?

Even if you know where to hook up the wires, there may be some programming that needs to be done to make analog (?) house light controls work with the right dimmers. Some dimmer racks of that era required a proprietary device or computer software to communicate with the on board controller. I don't know if the ENR is built that way, but I know some of the competitor's products were in the 1990s.

If you already have two, 24 dimmer ENRs, what do you expect to improve with installing an ENR 48? I assume the two systems share dimmer modules and other parts. Why not keep what you've got and use the 48 rack for parts?

Last edited:
"2. I have 2 different sets of house lights, the regular lighting in the auditorium, and it also has 25 recessed lights that are controlled also. do they wire into the same location"

This is to me, the most troubling about what you are attempting. There are very specific electrical code (and often fire code) requirements as to how you need to deal with the lighting for the audience area (house lights) and once you add them into the dimmer rack that has stage lighting, you or your electrician, need to have a very complete knowledge of either the National Electrical Code, and/or whatever local state, county or local municipality codes apply.

And trust me, everybody understands and commiserates with your problem of being far removed from sources of support, but nobody can advise you on this.

As Steve Terry has pointed out, it is not something that a forum such as this can help you with. If you really want this system installed safely, correctly and to code, you need outside help on location.

thank you so much for your kind words and understanding. I have tried to pay someone to come here, but they refuse because they know nothing about this dimmer. the reason i am installing this one, it is not that i already have one in place, it was taken out before i took over the building, i am starting from scratch.

the questions i had about the house light should not be misunderstood. i have 8 large 500 watt lights in the auditorium, plus i have the 25 recessed lights. these are controlled by the door entrances with a dimmer that you push so they will come on, this is how it worked with the old system, what my question was the house lights are the larger lights,but i need to connect the recessed lights also.

the electrician that is helping me is the same one that installed the old system, but it was completely different from this one.

I have read the instruction manual, but no where does it have this information in there. i know there is a place for house lights, that is not the problem, but just trying to find out where the recessed lights go. I am sorry that i came across as a stubburn person wanting help, but i have tried to find a professional that knows this dimmer, and they are few and far between. thanks

If your new system is not the same as the old system, the old wall panels are probably NOT compatible with the new dimmer rack. If you call Leviton (the people who bought Colortran and now produce the ENR96 dimmers) you may be able to get some help from them. They also may be able to recommend a dealer in your area that could help you with your installation.

thank you so much for your kind words and understanding. I have tried to pay someone to come here, but they refuse because they know nothing about this dimmer. the reason i am installing this one, it is not that i already have one in place, it was taken out before i took over the building, i am starting from scratch.

the questions i had about the house light should not be misunderstood. i have 8 large 500 watt lights in the auditorium, plus i have the 25 recessed lights. these are controlled by the door entrances with a dimmer that you push so they will come on, this is how it worked with the old system, what my question was the house lights are the larger lights,but i need to connect the recessed lights also.

the electrician that is helping me is the same one that installed the old system, but it was completely different from this one.

I have read the instruction manual, but no where does it have this information in there. i know there is a place for house lights, that is not the problem, but just trying to find out where the recessed lights go. I am sorry that i came across as a stubburn person wanting help, but i have tried to find a professional that knows this dimmer, and they are few and far between. thanks

there is also the consideration for exit signs and egress lighting. does installation of this new dimmer rack trigger the current (for some time now iirc) requirement that these be powered from the same source as the house lights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back