Entry Level Moving Head Wash

jmac

Been awhile.. how is everyone?

Looking to get 3 decent quality entry level moving head wash fixtures as a first step into movers for HS musical production. $5-7k budget. New to this, but asking around a bit, so far seemed to settle on Chauvet Rogue R2X Wash or Elation Fuze Wash Z350. Both in the $2k range. Preferred R2X as $300 cheaper, but it’s not available now, whereas Z350’s are in stock.

Am I heading in right direction?
Thoughts?
Experience with these?
Others that might be equal or better at same price point?

Thanks!

Check out the Rogue R1 BeamWash, if they're in stock. They're not quite as bright as an R2X, but have a larger zoom range. They are significantly brighter than the original R2 Wash. The 40 watt LEDs really cut. Maybe @Ford can comment on stock of Rogue R1 BeamWash?

What are advantages of the R1 Beam Wash besides availability and bit on price? Looks like a lot less lumens(?). Sacrificing wash performance to get the beam (which not sure we would use).? Thanks again.

If you want the R2Xs, they definitely would be worth waiting for. Quality light, very reliable. The R1 BeamWashes would just be to get something that's available now, if you need now. Also, it zooms a smidge wider than the R2X Wash, and I personally prefer the lensing and mixing of the larger 40W LEDs. You could also check out the ADJ Vizi Wash Z19 or Focus Flex L7. I'm personally not a fan of the color mixing on the Fuze Wash 350, it's an older COB LED chip that won't make as nice colors as the other units. However, if you've seen a demo of it and you like the color mixing, it's definitely a solidly built unit. The new Fuze Wash 500 is ideal, but probably too expensive. Actually, now that I think of it, ADJ Focus Wash 400 could be a good option. It's not going to be as bright in your primaries - dark red, dark blue, etc due to having 6 color mixing - but in midtones and most theater-y colors, it will be great. It might not zoom wide enough for you though.

I would strongly recommend reaching out to a local shop that's dealers for the lights you're interested in and see if you can get some demos.

Steve has it right. Get your local Dealer to bring in units for a shootout.

Thanks for the info Soundlight!
Questions- What is COB, on the Z350?
Thoughts on single LED like the Z350 and Focus Wash 400 vs multiple LED’s with the R2X and Vizi Wash Z19, for HS application?
Primarily use is for the annual musical, but they also do some cabaret type things. Advantage to have the ring control like the Z19?

Sounds like everyone likes the R2X in terms of build quality. But if we can’t get them, how do ADJ and Elation compare?

Thanks again!

Thought about going used? Anything marked UL Owned on Usedlighting.com is 4Wall's used rental gear. It comes with a 30 day warranty and has been well maintained and tested before selling it (I've toured their warehouse. Inventory is always changing and be careful of where it ships from.

There are some good deals available

Thanks Gafftaper. We have purchased used conventionals from them and also Gear Source, with good luck. S4’s and S4 Pars.
And a couple nice auto yokes on eBay awhile back. A little leery of getting used movers, but will definitely checkout. Thanks!

Well, ended up going with three ADJ Focus Flex L7’s. To my inexperienced judgement, I like that they are small and nimble, should be able to get nice theatrical colors with the RGBL. If I figure out how, can maybe also have a little fun making glitz doing different things with the 7 LED’s and zoom. Not sure what the foreground -background color thing is (anybody.?)..

First impression- Just took one out of the box last night and the build seems solid. Working thru the menu and channel configuration options. Will hopefully get them up and running Friday night.

Can anyone point me to a good primer for the beginner mover programmer.?. Will be using a classic Ion. Thanks!

Can anyone point me to a good primer for the beginner mover programmer.?. Will be using a classic Ion. Thanks!
Practice practice practice. Get to know offset and fan. These tools are great but you need to play with them to get comfortable. And just because they move does not mean then have to move. Keep you looks simple and tilt before pan.
Have fun
Geoff

Edit: Forgot to use capitol letters at the start of my sentences. -Sorry @RonHebbard

Thanks Gafftaper. We have purchased used conventionals from them and also Gear Source, with good luck. S4’s and S4 Pars.
And a couple nice auto yokes on eBay awhile back. A little leery of getting used movers, but will definitely checkout. Thanks!
Make sure to check their B Stock section.

Practice practice practice. Get to know offset and fan. These tools are great but you need to play with them to get comfortable. And just because they move does not mean then have to move. Keep you looks simple and tilt before pan.
Have fun
Geoff

Edit: Forgot to use capitol letters at the start of my sentences. -Sorry @RonHebbard
Thanks Geoff. I finally learned to tilt before pan with my two Auto-Yokes, just aiming for specials, but it’s been a few months. I needed the reminder, thanks!

I've been super busy but wanted to stop back by this thread and say glad to hear you went with the L7s! I think it's the best budget multichip moving head wash for any small to mid size theater. The lime chip will really help with both warm white punch and color rendering. @jmac - Have you used them for a show yet? How do you like them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back