Enttec DMX USB vs Obey 40

brackley

I'm trying to light a small band and need help with DMX controller direction.

(2) Colorstrips
(3) Par 56
(2) moving heads
(1) Drummer providing MIDI inputs at some crucial points

I definitely need a system that can receive midi inputs and I'm leaning toward the Chauvet Obey 40 or the Enttec DMX USB Pro with Laptop/free software.

Can someone provide some assistance with pros/cons?

Thank you very much,

I'm trying to light a small band and need help with DMX controller direction.

(2) Colorstrips
(3) Par 56
(2) moving heads
(1) Drummer providing MIDI inputs at some crucial points

I definitely need a system that can receive midi inputs and I'm leaning toward the Chauvet Obey 40 or the Enttec DMX USB Pro with Laptop/free software.

Can someone provide some assistance with pros/cons?

Thank you very much,

The "with a laptop" to me would be the stopper. Computer based systems are fine if there is a lighting booth area, but I suspect you are running everything from stage, and the stage is a dangerous place to be setting up a laptop. I am making the assumption that the band itself is doing sound and lights from stage. If this is true, you want as few distractions as possible. Most of the Chauvet boards have MIDI inputs. As a stand-alone board, there is no boot time. Also, no chance of it trying to do an anti-virus update right at a critical point in a song! Yea, the PC software solution is nice, but when you're doing it from stage live, it is just another thing to go wrong or that might need attention.

You are correct, we are running lights from stage and want the most dynamic look with minimal input (I know that's a stretch). After reading through other posts, I'm a little concerned with the MIDI functions on the Chauvet Obey 40. If you or anyone else has advice for the Obey 40 utilizing MIDI inputs, I'm all ears (or eyes I guess).

I'd be happy to talk you through the MIDI capabilities of our BlueLite X1 (or X1-Mini). The main Submaster's can be controlled using MIDI using one of our MIDI Sample Apps to either do simple note conversion to Submaster or control channel (CC) to Submaster "translations". In addition, our Live Panel (available from the BlueLiteTools menu) includes 3 different MIDI "map" selections to choose from (Notes/CC/ProgranChanges) to crontrol the Live Panel sequences. We've also recently released iPanel for mobile devices that allows you to control the Live Panel using your iPhone/iPad/Android device.
You still have the control using the PC screen as well as the option of plugging in an external DMX console. That way, your LD can be running his lighting board to control the BlueLite Submasters while the drummer is triggering cues in Live Panel using MIDI control.
You can download the latest software, which includes the User Manual (check Appendix C for the MIDI Maps), from our website and test the MIDI control capabilties. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back