Enttec USB DMX Pro

Hey guys,

Im fairly new this site and the lighting world in general and I have a question regarding a dmx/usb 'dongle' my teacher purchased recently. We have an ETC dimming installation at our school and regularly use a ETC Expression 125 console but I want to be able to control the lights with LightFactory, another thing my teacher recently invested in. In the control booth there is a panel with two ports in it: A 5 pin 'Data Input' which is the DMX 512 output from the board. And a 6 pin 'ETC Link' input which is the corresponding output on the board. The dongle has botha female and a male dmx input/output and both are transmitted over the usb out. My computer recognizes the dongle fine but I have no control over the lighting. Obviously I have made sure that the Backup looks (Recorded Presets which override the console) were switched off and the board is off. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? How might i go bout wiring this? Im hoping that I dont have to wire it straight to the dimmer as that would involve 500+ feet of dmx cable and would therefore make this whole purchase pointless.

Thanks for your help,
Jared Wooden
Northwood High School

Not familiar with the desk of the ETC link system, but if you want to control dimmers with the computer (why?) instead of the desk, just plug the dongle's DMX out into the DMX port on the wall- leave the desk out of the equation. Sorted?

Not familiar with the desk of the ETC link system, but if you want to control dimmers with the computer (why?) instead of the desk, just plug the dongle's DMX out into the DMX port on the wall- leave the desk out of the equation. Sorted?
\

Thanks Thomas,

I want to use LightFactory because our current board is horrible for dance shows (ie Confusing timecode, small amount of subs, etc..). Basically just to avoid a headache for this years spring show. Anwyays, I tried this the other day and couldnt seem to get it to work but i will try again when I get a bit more time in the theatre.

Thanks for your help.

You should be able to pull the DMX from the console and plug it into your dongle and have it work. You may need to check the DMX addresses that the dongle is talking to and make sure that it is the same range that dimmers are on.

Have you tried using the dongle to control any other devices yet? Are your sure you have it set up right? Is it actually outputting DMX? You can test it's output if you have a DMX tester, which you might be able to borrow from a local dealer or theatre. You could probably just take your computer down to your local dealer and they could help you test it.

Also, btw, stop by our new members forum and tell us about yourself.

ETCLink is a protocol that is used for dimmers to communicate with the console. It allows for feedback and dimmer monitoring information. It is a proprietary protocol, and is not designed for controlling dimmers in performance type situation.

You should be able to pull the DMX from the console and plug it into your dongle and have it work. You may need to check the DMX addresses that the dongle is talking to and make sure that it is the same range that dimmers are on.
Have you tried using the dongle to control any other devices yet? Are your sure you have it set up right? Is it actually outputting DMX? You can test it's output if you have a DMX tester, which you might be able to borrow from a local dealer or theatre. You could probably just take your computer down to your local dealer and they could help you test it.
Also, btw, stop by our new members forum and tell us about yourself.

Yes this is the first thing I thought about, but one problem.

Our console's DMX cable is jammed into the port in the board and is stuck there permanently (I think). I have tried unscrewing the connector and everything else i can think of but I think it is there to stay..

Any suggestions on how to get it out would be helpful too...

This is going to be a "duh" question, but you did try pushing the release button to unlock the connector?

The other option is to just get another DMX cable and plug it from your dongle to the wall and leave the other cable connected to the console.

I have lightfactory as well, are you trying to use your console as a playback wing to the software? Or else why are you trying to connect your software to the console. And did your teacher purchase an entire universe of dimmers? cuz they sell the license in 36 dimmer output, or 50 control channels, and 512 dimmers or 512channels and dimmers.

If you are trying to connect console to software, send the output from your console into the dongle, and the output of the dongle into the dimmer rack, or your wall connector to your dimmers.

Otherwise just send the output to the dimmers.

You said you wanted more subs for dance shows, i guess in my opinion its easier or just better using subs on a fader then on the software. Cues and effects are pretty good in that program, but have found if your trying to use subs or run something manually, with conventionals, its far easier on a console with faders and buttons. But thats just my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back