Control/Dimming EOS 2.3 Color not matching

tdewey7

Hello All,

I'm looking for some help with ETC Eos 2.3 software showing me incorrect colors on the color picker with LED fixtures with more than RGB leds. I have RGBA and RGBW and both devices are not accurate to the color picker. Which means the gel pickers are not accurate either. Which also means the Channel Color does not show up correctly in the virtual magic sheet. If anyone else has encountered this or has any ideas to fix it please let me know.

Thanks all,
Trevor

V2.3.0 had some weird issues with the colors. v2.3.1 is current and I hear 2.3.2 is due any day.

How far off are you talking about. Since everything was re-calibrated to be as if on a HPL575X there are definite changes. I find the "white" CCT colors far too saturated.

Hello All,

I'm looking for some help with ETC Eos 2.3 software showing me incorrect colors on the color picker with LED fixtures with more than RGB leds. I have RGBA and RGBW and both devices are not accurate to the color picker. Which means the gel pickers are not accurate either. Which also means the Channel Color does not show up correctly in the virtual magic sheet. If anyone else has encountered this or has any ideas to fix it please let me know.

Thanks all,
Trevor

From what I've seen and read, the gel picker, among other aspects of the color picking system, got really screwed up in 2.3.0. Typical was the picker itself where a L201 as example, looks straw colored. My understanding is the picker "swatch" color is now supposed to look like what the color would look like in a particular lamp, such as an HTI source. ETC got hammered about this as it's not even close and I understand they allow you to turn this off in 2.3.2 so that the picker colors look more like what you would see in a physical gel book.

I've not yet had an opportunity to use my Aura's with 2.3, so have not seen what you describe, but there has been much discussion about this on the FB Eos forum.

Glad I'm not going crazy... just yet.

I have also had issues with the color picker running extremely slow. Anyone else?

You should really be posting all these threads on the ETC forums so ETC staff can look into the problem and maybe help.
Are you using Generic RGBA & RGBW fixtures or manufactures fixtures. A showfile would also be helpful.

You should really be posting all these threads on the ETC forums so ETC staff can look into the problem and maybe help.
Poster seems to be surmising two (demonstrably false) assumptions:
1. ETC staff won't see issues if they are posted here.
2. ETC staff wouldn't help even if they did see the problems here.

3. And that ETC is unaware of the issues.
I monitor their EOS forum and see the issue discussed, including comments about plans to change it.

I do encourage folks to contact manufacturers first.

ETC Color Tester here! :D A little more information would be helpful, tdewey. What are the fixtures in question? What colors seem off? We were having issues on a specific few of the gels that were due to some inconsistent data, which has since been addressed. Several of the less-saturated colors (yes, L201 being one of them), were off due to an innacurate white point; we had a pretty drastic orange shift happening. We have been testing this pretty religiously in 2.3.2, the last one which I oversaw yesterday (and was quite impressed, if I do say so myself).

One other thing to keep in mind as you rush to the ETC forums to download the 2.3.2. beta: If your fixture does not contain ETC or Carallon calibration, your color matches are not going to be quite as accurate. Knowing what make and model of lights you are using will tell us whether or not they contain calibration.

-Brandon M

Yes, except the calibration has always been part of the Eos program. At least as long as I've used it.

Calibrated fixtures show an irregular outline in the color picker. That is the boundary of colors the fixture can make compared to the theoretical range of colors. For a simple RGB fixture it's a triangle, for an RGBA it has a bump out in the amber.

There is also now a standard for what a RGB or RGBA fixture "should" be able to produce. The generic profiles are set to this new standard. Why becomes apparent when you compare the HS wheel and CIE color spaces. If I understand this correctly, the triangle that is always on the CIE pickers (not outlined) is the HS wheel space warped to meet the CIE definition. Showing the colors you can/can't get is important.

It's all a bit of a mind bender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back