EOS 4250 ethernet

Jay Ashworth

My boss is looking at buying an EOS 4250, and I need to confirm that the Ethernet jacks on the back panel can be used for networks with other things on them besides nodes; I can put wifi or internet on those interfaces as well, just like on the Ions?

Any other hitches on those desks? Will they run 3.x?

I wouldn't spend my money on one. You could probably buy a used Ion for the same price.

Eos Classic's are now 2 generations old.

It will not run any 3.x software. I believe it can only run up to 2.8? Yes the ethernet ports can connect to a network or Wifi Access Point.

I would never hook up a lighting console to the internet. Especially an older console that runs XPe. Also why do you want the internet on those desks?

Most prominently for ntp sync, though in fact our xe doesn't seem to want to sync up.

And yes, this is my day job; I am not so foolish as to put a public IP address on a lighting console, people. Jesus.

Most prominently for ntp sync, though in fact our xe doesn't seem to want to sync up.

And yes, this is my day job; I am not so foolish as to put a public IP address on a lighting console, people. Jesus.
You're the one who said internet ..

4250 seems to include a range of products, can you be more specific as to the device?

You're the one who said internet ..

4250 seems to include a range of products, can you be more specific as to the device?
Well I could, but the comments here convinced me to tell him to just pony and buy a used Ion.

So, anyone got one of those they want to unload? I think he'd like to be around 3 grand-ish. If anyone has an offer, PM me...

Well I could, but the comments here convinced me to tell him to just pony and buy a used Ion.

So, anyone got one of those they want to unload? I think he'd like to be around 3 grand-ish. If anyone has an offer, PM me...
Sent you a PM

In fact, I'm pointing it at an NTP server on the same LAN; all my cameras pick time off it just fine, but the Ion ignores it.
What's acting as your server? I'm running this way with an Element and a Paradigm processor as the time server for all devices on my lighting and AV networks. Those networks are tied together with a router, but isolated from the school network and internet. So... I still have to adjust the time manually once in a while, but I do it at the PACP and everything else syncs up. It's been a while since I set everything up, but I'm pretty sure it didn't require anything too special to get working.

Native NTP server on Ubuntu 18.04, whatever that is. Everything is behind our production-net router, which is itself on a campus NATted IP; it's the next best thing to impossible to get in from outside. Ubuntu is Strat 2 to the pool, and then the internal devices pick up from it. Except the Ion.

Last edited:
I have been very successful in using a LeoNTP time sever on completely isolated lighting networks. Just needs to be placed where it can pick up GPS signal (which surprisingly worked fine through the ceiling of our dimmer room/roof of building).

Unfortunately they are facing the same chip shortage as everyone else now, so are not currently in production.

ETC consoles sync up via NTP from it without any problem.

-Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back