EOS controlling Relay Modules for LED Fixtures

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I'm setting up my GIO@5 for the first time. I have 16 circuits of relay modules that power my LED fixtures. In watching ETC training videos this spring I remember that there is a way to patch the relays so that they just automatically turn on when the console powers up and turn off when it shuts down. But I can't seem to find that tip again. I think it was a combination of the correct dimmer patch and curve, but can't remember. Does anyone know what combination of settings it takes in patch to make that happen.

I believe that would be via the use of a Startup Macro which would park all associated dimmers at 'Full' then a Shutdown Macro to turn off.

There are a few ways to do it. They come out of the box setup to automatically turn on when they see a DMX signal. You can through ETC Concert software change them to RDM mode or DMX Mode. In DMX mode when they see a a level above 50% on the specified Address (Default 512) they will turn on and when it is below 50 the turn off. I am using them this way with the Startup Macro and Shut Down Macro. I was having issues with RDM keeping them on all the time even though the Board was off.

Link to the Manual https://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737490402

If you want the relays on whenever the console is on and they are patched, I would suggest patching them as either generic dimmer or non-dim, and then applying curve 909(Hot Patch) to them.

If you'd like control over the relays, my recommendations are either the startup/shutdown macros suggested above, or patch as a generic non-dim(choosing the appropriate type of on at full, on at 1%, on at 50%, etc) and use the buttons in ML controls to turn them on and off(also easily recorded into a macro, should you go that route).

If you want the relays on whenever the console is on and they are patched, I would suggest patching them as either generic dimmer or non-dim, and then applying curve 909(Hot Patch) to them.

If you'd like control over the relays, my recommendations are either the startup/shutdown macros suggested above, or patch as a generic non-dim(choosing the appropriate type of on at full, on at 1%, on at 50%, etc) and use the buttons in ML controls to turn them on and off(also easily recorded into a macro, should you go that route).
Thanks, the "hotpatch" curve is vaguely familiar and I think what I was thinking of. I forgot to mention that these are Strand C21 dimmers, so there's no automatic turn on in the dimmer rack. Needs to be done by the console.

You can also set the default value for your channel in ( I believe) patch. So if you set your non-dim to 100% - it will always be there unless you change it.

Now if someone did change it they would go off - but you don't have to worry about someone clearing park either. For my space I just used a channel way outside of the range of normal operations.

I do this exact thing in my venue. I personally don’t like the [Park] method. I would patch those dimmers into some channel, I tend to do the 2000’s, and put a curve 909 on it in patch. In set up, my start up macro is 900. Macro 900) Patch, ch 2001, curve 909, Enter. Shut down macro is 901. Macro 901) Patch, Ch 2001, Curve, Enter.

I tend to not like the park method because in patch you can label what they are, what position they’re at. Stuff like that. Just gives some more info.

This is how I do it:
  1. Make a curve that has the input of 0-99 at full, and 100 at 0
  2. Patch your relays to individual channels (in this case I had 8 relay channels, so I patched 8 channels)
  3. Assign the curve to these channels
  4. Make 8 submasters that are additive, excluded from Record, Solo, Inhib and GM. Give it and up time of 0, a dwell time of 5, and a down time of 0
  5. Label the subs!
  6. Pop open your magic sheet editor, and make a 2x4 grid of boxes that are targeted to your submasters. Have these boxes show the target number and the label of the submaster.
  7. Next to your submaster box, drop in an sACN Input box, and target it to the address for the respective submaster's channel
Phew, alright. Now, when you tap on your submaster box the submaster will "bump" turning the channels on, and since you targeted the sACN box to the address, you can see the actual value of the relay, architectural systems and all.

Attachments

• Magic Sheet.png
    Magic Sheet.png
    41 KB · Views: 169
  • Relay Curve.png
    Relay Curve.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 177
  • ezgif-7-f3568315a299.gif
    ezgif-7-f3568315a299.gif
    199 KB · Views: 181
This is how I do it:
  1. Make a curve that has the input of 0-99 at full, and 100 at 0
  2. Patch your relays to individual channels (in this case I had 8 relay channels, so I patched 8 channels)
  3. Assign the curve to these channels
  4. Make 8 submasters that are additive, excluded from Record, Solo, Inhib and GM. Give it and up time of 0, a dwell time of 5, and a down time of 0
  5. Label the subs!
  6. Pop open your magic sheet editor, and make a 2x4 grid of boxes that are targeted to your submasters. Have these boxes show the target number and the label of the submaster.
  7. Next to your submaster box, drop in an sACN Input box, and target it to the address for the respective submaster's channel
Phew, alright. Now, when you tap on your submaster box the submaster will "bump" turning the channels on, and since you targeted the sACN box to the address, you can see the actual value of the relay, architectural systems and all.

I’m going to give this a try when I get back to working whenever that is.

There’s a difference between disabling the GM on your console, and enabling the GM Exempt flag in patch. The GM Exempt exempts the intensity of channels from grandmaster, blackout, rem dim, and go to cue 0 operations, which can also be incredibly helpful.

Agreed, GM Exempt is a useful tool. In my mind I went back to my method of adding a hot patch curve on the channels in patch for relays.

I do utilize the GM Exempt quite often, just not in this instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back