EOS Effect Question

rphilip

I don't know EOS well enough to search for the answer to this question or to fully understand the manual and training videos.

I'm trying to build an effect to simulate waves in lights along my side walls. My concept is to have intensity fade up and at the same time take the color from blue towards white then both should fade back to their initial levels while the next light fades up. This should start at one end of the wall and bounce back an forth. A > B > C > D > C > B > A > B > C, ...

From what playing I've done I think I'd rather use a relative effect(s) so I can more easily tweak things like the intensity levels from the peak to the trough and how much color change there is. Is this doable? I think I could do it with Step based effect but then (at least as far as I understand) wouldn't be able to edit the effect live as easily.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

What type of lights are you using, Moving, LED, conventional? It also seems like you're concerned about precision.
If they move, are LED, or you want precise control, I think an "Absolute" effect is what you might want here. It's like a step-based effect but slightly different. It will allow you to use presets (or any other pallet) as target levels and you can also assign the background as a target level. Editing the presets will edit the output of the effect. The editing effect will govern timing. I hope that helps.

If the parameters always move in unison then a relative effect can do it.
Often separate effects for intensity, color and movement is the only option.

Sometimes the simplest solution is a cue loop, maybe on a different cue list. If it comes up once it's easy, if you use it many times then effects are far better.

What type of lights are you using, Moving, LED, conventional? It also seems like you're concerned about precision.
If they move, are LED, or you want precise control, I think an "Absolute" effect is what you might want here. It's like a step-based effect but slightly different. It will allow you to use presets (or any other pallet) as target levels and you can also assign the background as a target level. Editing the presets will edit the output of the effect. The editing effect will govern timing. I hope that helps.
If the parameters always move in unison then a relative effect can do it.
Often separate effects for intensity, color and movement is the only option.

Sometimes the simplest solution is a cue loop, maybe on a different cue list. If it comes up once it's easy, if you use it many times then effects are far better.

The lights under consideration are abunch of CS Linear's. I ended up making cue loops referencing pallets, will get to see how well it actually works tomorrow night. I've got the cue loops rate on a fader so it's easy to play with that as needed.

Thanks

Philip

I did something like this this year using low cost LED battens rather than CS but the effect worked reasonably well. It was a step based effect which referenced a group of color palettes for a selection of paleish blues and cyans and pale greens. Played with in, out and dwell times and bounce etc, gave a fairly convincing impression of a bobbing sea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back