Eos Family Software

Shawncfer,

If you have the Eos client dongle, you can use your laptop to connect with the main console as a Client. You cannot, however, control your lighting system (racks and/or gateways) with just plugging in the offline editor.

Without the dongle, your computer can connect in mirror mode to show what is being programmed on the console, but there is no functionality for editing.

What do you mean by Client?

And lets say I record a show one day and save it on my flash drive then get home and realize Holy crap, I messed up cue 6! Can I plug my flash drive in and edit cue 6 from my laptop?

Client is a feature that would allow you to connect and program along with the console operator live in your theatre. Using Client mode, you can control your lighting rig live through the main console from your laptop in the theatre.

As for your second question, yes you can. That is one of the main goals of the offline editor. It allows you to make changes, or even program the entire show, beforehand and then load that show to the console and you are set.

Client is a feature that would allow you to connect and program along with the console operator live in your theatre. Using Client mode, you can control your lighting rig live through the main console from your laptop in the theatre.

So in other words I can set up my laptop at the directors table and that way the LD can see what the board op is doing and can change things he doesn't like correct?

So how would I set it up? Does it have to be an ethernet cable from the board to laptop? And if so, can I run ethernet from my laptop to a hub that connects the board and all the nodes together and have my laptop run on the same network? Is that possible?

And can I use it like an RFU? Just has to be plugged in to the ethernet the whole time?

[1] So in other words I can set up my laptop at the directors table and that way the LD can see what the board op is doing and can change things he doesn't like correct?

[2] So how would I set it up? Does it have to be an ethernet cable from the board to laptop? And if so, can I run ethernet from my laptop to a hub that connects the board and all the nodes together and have my laptop run on the same network? Is that possible?

[3] And can I use it like an RFU? Just has to be plugged in to the ethernet the whole time?

For questions 1 and 3: Yes. But, you will need to have the Client Dongle plugged into your laptop.

Question 2: It does need to be connected using an ethernet cable. You can run that cable to the same hub/switch/router that the rest of your lighting network connects to. You will need make sure your computer is setup in the correct IP scheme. (ETC default network setup is to have computers have a 10.101.1.x IP address where x is a unique number between 100 and 200. You will also need to set your subnet mask to be 255.255.0.0) After your computer is setup correctly, you can launch the Eos/Ion/Element offline software and connect with your console as Client. If you do not have the dongle connected, you will only be able to view what the operator is doing but not change any values. With the dongle connected, you can view and modify values live.

I Know this is an old thread, but will it work the same if you are running the Offline editor on one computer, and the Client on another?

I Know this is an old thread, but will it work the same if you are running the Offline editor on one computer, and the Client on another?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here -- the Offline editor and Client software are the same package and function in the same manner. The dongle will enable you to interact with the lighting network, and without the dongle, you can only enter Mirror Mode, or go Offline.

In Offline mode, the computer will not connect to the lighting network whatsoever. You would need to manually transfer the show file before manipulating data.

Is that what you're asking?

I mean, I have a 2007 iMac sitting on my desk (writing this from it) and an old Gateway computer sitting next to it. If I were to run the offline on one computer, and the client on the other, could the two see each other and work as if there was a console in place of the offline editor?

No because offline is just that offline not connected plus the client needs an actual console to receive the info from.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

No because offline is just that offline not connected plus the client needs an actual console to receive the info from.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

That makes sense. It doesn't really matter, I was just curious. Doesn't suprise me.

I mean, I have a 2007 iMac sitting on my desk (writing this from it) and an old Gateway computer sitting next to it. If I were to run the offline on one computer, and the client on the other, could the two see each other and work as if there was a console in place of the offline editor?

What would be the purpose of such a setup?

What would be the purpose of such a setup?

I wanted to see what it would do and how it would react, but I don't have an ION. Nothing that important though.

Technically, with a router, then yes, you still need an Ethernet cable to run mirror/client/client view only modes. With a WIRELESS router, then no, you don't need the Ethernet cable between router and the computer you are running mirror/client/client view only modes as long as the computer has a wireless adapter in it or attached to it.

ETC actually recommends using a WAP instead of a wireless router (not really sure why). We have two IONs and the software never really worked on either one a regular basis without ethernet until we got that WAP. Though if anyone on here has a wireless router that is working well for them then that great and why change something that is already working. The biggest thing I recommend to someone setting this up is make sure your IP address, subnet mask and gateway all match up from board to computer. And i believe the suggested addresses are on their website somewhere.

Do I have to re-configure my computer's ip and subnet mask or can I just re-configure that of the ION and if so what would I have to change it to? Thanks.

It depends on the application. For this case, I'm assuming you're using a wired network or WAP:
For your application, it would be probably easier for the Ion to be the DHCP server. This setting is found under Exit Ion -> Settings -> Network -> Network Services and is labeled "Address Service (DHCP)". Don't check the box above that says "Enable DHCP" - this is a different setting.

Then, when your computer connects to the network, it will automatically obtain an IP address from the console that is compatible in the ETC recommended range (found here). And, when your computer goes back to connecting to other WiFi networks, no reconfiguration will be required.

With a wireless router, the situation depends on how it is hooked in, which was discussed in the aRFR thread that Chris15 linked to. In any event, while Client can run wirelessly, we do not particularly recommend it for show critical applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back