Control/Dimming Eos software questions

Apmccandless

I am designing lights for a small school and using their house rig.
Structure:
Computer running eos software 3.?
Ethernet connection to sACN node (pathport din) in rack
Dmx from node through distribution amplifier
Dmx distributed around ceiling
Additional ADJ Artnet node on ground connected to Ethernet providing data to fixtures on the ground

I hung everything and flashed using Chamsys everything was working.

Started to patch using eos software, my first issue, I cannot patch the same address in sACN universe 1 and Artnet universe 1. Error message stating address is already patched. The conflict shown is on a completely different interface. I can and did repatch the node to another universe but why would they not allow me to patch addresses on different interfaces?

Second issue, the school has Coemar iSpot 150 fixtures. On MagicQ no issues I locate the fixtures the shutter opens I clear the programmer the fixtures turn off. On Eos as soon as the fixtures are patched (and lamped on) they sit in home position with shutter open. The profile’s home position is shutter open. I messed with the fixture profile and haven’t gotten it to use shutter closed as the home state. Everytime I clear the programmer the iSpots default to shutter open.

Third issue, focus pallets, everytime I record a new fixture into a focus pallet it clears out any fixture that isn’t active in the programmer when I hit record. On MagicQ if I want to add a light to a focus pallet I set focus hit record and choose a focus pallet. Is there a way to make Eos behave like that.

I understand my life would be easier if I used the software I know better to program. The school has a student running the console and the producer who hired me wants me to use their Eos software to run the show.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Andrew

artnet is enabled in the shell. Universe 1 in both cases. The lights worked correctly I just couldn’t have dimmers patched to sACN universe 1 and led strips on the same channels patched to artnet universe 1. Sixth address controls the shutter. The console and fixture are both set to 13 channel control. These have a theoretical ability to dim if the 13th channel is set to a specific value. I tried to figure out how to make that work and was unsuccessful. But mostly the shutter controls intensity and it is a binary state.

If both sACN (set to1) and artnet (set to 0) which puts them on universe 1 then you will have a conflict of address if using the same addresses. To patch to universe 2 change the artnet or sACN to another universe. So to get one of them on universe 2 then artnet would be set to 1 and sACN would be 2. To patch the address in universe 2 you need to tell the console that it is to go there by using 2/xxx (where xxx is the value between 1 and 512) or you can add 512 to the address so 513 would be universe 2 address 1.
Does this help?

That worked. Thank you!
As a caveat, many older fixtures defaulted to shutter open because otherwise the heat build-up from the lamp could be traumatic. Many newer LED-based fixtures inherited the behavior, but have less of an issue. That being said, presumably you want the shutter open when the light is on, so you'll have to program that into cues. With a slow enough fade up, you might see shutter movement.

Regarding your question about focus palettes, are you recording them every time? Once you've created a palette, try using Update instead of Record; that'll keep any existing information intact (unless it's part of the selection you're updating, of course.) You can also lock palettes to prevent easily overwriting them.

Lastly, you might want to check the system settings to see if updating a cue is also updating all the palettes and presets referenced by it; that might not be the behavior you desire.

I am designing lights for a small school and using their house rig.
Structure:
Computer running eos software 3.?
Ethernet connection to sACN node (pathport din) in rack
Dmx from node through distribution amplifier
Dmx distributed around ceiling
Additional ADJ Artnet node on ground connected to Ethernet providing data to fixtures on the ground

I hung everything and flashed using Chamsys everything was working.

Started to patch using eos software, my first issue, I cannot patch the same address in sACN universe 1 and Artnet universe 1. Error message stating address is already patched. The conflict shown is on a completely different interface. I can and did repatch the node to another universe but why would they not allow me to patch addresses on different interfaces?

Second issue, the school has Coemar iSpot 150 fixtures. On MagicQ no issues I locate the fixtures the shutter opens I clear the programmer the fixtures turn off. On Eos as soon as the fixtures are patched (and lamped on) they sit in home position with shutter open. The profile’s home position is shutter open. I messed with the fixture profile and haven’t gotten it to use shutter closed as the home state. Everytime I clear the programmer the iSpots default to shutter open.

Third issue, focus pallets, everytime I record a new fixture into a focus pallet it clears out any fixture that isn’t active in the programmer when I hit record. On MagicQ if I want to add a light to a focus pallet I set focus hit record and choose a focus pallet. Is there a way to make Eos behave like that.

I understand my life would be easier if I used the software I know better to program. The school has a student running the console and the producer who hired me wants me to use their Eos software to run the show.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Andrew

You can output the same information on multiple interfaces (though you don't have to) which is way it creates a conflict if you're patching the same address in multiple places. Eos doesn't make the interface selection unique. Universe numbers are free though, so just put your artnet somewhere else and you'll be fine.

It sounds like there's an issue with the profile if your shutter is overriding the intensity. Might be worth reaching out to ETC about this.

With all recording, etc is "greedy" by default. If on a clear command line you type "Record focus pallete 1" It's going to take all data for all channels with focus attributes and put it into focus palette one.

Now, if you type "CHannel 3 record focus palette 1" it will only add/update the data for channel three. Alternatively, if you use "Record only focus palette 1" it will only take data for manual (red) channels and insert/update it into focus palette one. It can take some getting used to if you've used other consoles, but makes sense once it's part of the habit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back