Control/Dimming Eos to Strand 500 Show Port

icewolf08

Controls Integrator
CB Mods
Does anyone know how or if it is even possible to take a show from Eos and port it to a Strand 500 series? We are doing a co-pro with a theatre that uses Eos and it would probably save some time if we could port the show file rather than trying to either re-create the show or having someone sit and key in all the cues from a printout.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but have you tried ASCII or CSV. Eos can export to both and using Strand's Showport Software you can convert either to Strand Show File. I've never done it, but that's what I would try first if I had to.

-Tim

I have thought if this, though I have never done it before. Finding a computer capable of still running the strand showport software will be interesting. The real problems would cone if they use any if the advanced features of Eos like individual channel timing. Well, once they send the show file over I can play with it in the Eos OLE. However, any other thoughts are welcome!

I have thought if this, though I have never done it before. Finding a computer capable of still running the strand showport software will be interesting. The real problems would cone if they use any if the advanced features of Eos like individual channel timing. Well, once they send the show file over I can play with it in the Eos OLE. However, any other thoughts are welcome!
Can't you run Showport on the console itself? Exit out to DOS?

Can't you run Showport on the console itself? Exit out to DOS?

Never tried that, but I suppose that should be possible. I have a good relationship with my consoles so they are usually nice to me like that.

Never tried that, but I suppose that should be possible. I have a good relationship with my consoles so they are usually nice to me like that.
That's good. You should love your console. Treat it like a lady. Take it to dinner and such. I hate mine. She's a cruel temptress. It's actually my forth from the shop. We programmed on a 550i, but after it froze in the middle of the performance....twice....the shop gave us a new one. 520i this time. Thank god. My booth wasn't big enough for a 550i and me... Well, on this console the NIC wasn't working. Get a new one from the shop. After a short period with this one, one of the LCD displays cuts out. Swap with the shop. This one the DMX output #2 doesn't work... But, since I am only using 2 universes I just reconfigure #3 and let it go. Who knows what would be wrong with the next one...

Good luck with your endeavor. Sorry I am not more helpful. Let us know how it turns out. I would be curious to know in case I need to do it in the future. ;)

-Tim

A few comments...

Remember that you are going from one generation of console back a previous generation. None of the advanced features of today's generation were understood by the previous generation of theatrical style desks. So any showfile importing on a 500 will only be able to deal with the data that it understands.

Now on to the importing. ShowPort is on Strand's website and can run on any Windows computer. You can export ASCII from Eos and then run it thru ShowPort to create a SSF file for the 500. If ShowPort has trouble it will be because of the "extra" data in the file that it doesn't understand. If that is the case, you can go in to the ASCII file itself using a simple text editor and strip out all of the non-relevant data. If you have to do that, remember that your patch will likely change anyway so strip it out and get down to the import data...cues. Moving Light data is very different from console manufacturer to console manufacturer so don't count on that being relevant.

Just another thought if the above does not appear fruitful. Try to get ASCII out of the Eos and import to PaletteOS then export ASCII there. I've not tried this but it may prove to be of some value.

Let us, at Strand, know if you need further assistance.

Bobby Harrell

Hi

Does anyone know where I can download Showport?

I can't seem to find it anywhere.....

I have converted an EOS showfile to ASCII, and am trying to convert now to .ssf for Strand 500 series.
All I can find on the Strand website is 'Offline Palette' which allows me to open the ASCII, but will only let me save it as .spf (Strand Palette File).

Any tips?

Thanks!!

Mike Smith
Sydney, Australia (currently on tour in Melbourne)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back