EQ suggestions for...

Anonymous067

I'm trying to EQ an effects that makes voices sound..."in someone else's head". In this play a primary character stands on a lower level reading a level while a second character stands on a balcony level and reads parts of the letter, but the balcony person is meant to sound "off in the distance and in the primary persons head". Almost as though they were "thinking"...

Any ideas?

I'd offer that an EQ, graphic or parametric, may not be the best device to achieve what you wish to accomplish. I propose an effects processor, such as the Yamaha SPX90, or modern equivalent. Someone else can suggest a specific program setting.

On site we have two Alesis Midi Verb FX processors....

What I've done in the past is dial up a small room verb on the MidiVerb, bring it back to the board 100% wet and cut the mids. then mix it with the dry signal. The theory here is to cut the mids out of the verb so the effects don't interfere with the dry voice and the verb makes a nice boomy sound to diffuse it. I can't offer any advice as to the patch though, cause it's been a while I've used a MidiVerb.

Say the mic is on channel 1. Send an effects out signal to your processor, then take it from your processor back to the board in, say, channel 2 (100% wet. All processed signal). On channel 2, cut your mids. Then you can strike a balance between the unprocessed voice and and the processed one. That make sense?

In fact, if anyone has connections or knows anything about the special effects in Wicked...this is what I'm going for...

It sounds like you want a reverb more than an EQ. (Although using both would probably give you what you are trying to achieve)

It sounds like you want a reverb more than an EQ. (Although using both would probably give you what you are trying to achieve)

I was going to type this and then forgot... (silly me)...

When I saw this live, they had much more of a...high frequency sound to it...kinda like the horn-speakers they have at like amusement parks for paging purposes...that's how it sounded live during Wicked. I would like to patch graphic EQ to it after the FX proc...

Just wondering if that video clip helped spark any other ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back